Feb 2014-Present. Post Doc Senior - Center for Bio-Molecular Nanotechnologies, Italian Institute of Technology (CBN-IIT), Via Barsanti, Arnesano (Lecce), Italy.
Synthesis, functionalization and characterization of different nanomaterials for imaging, drug/gene delivery and diagnostic applications.
Feb 2013-Present. President and Co-Founder of HiQ-Nano S.r.l.
Sep 2013. Visiting Researcher - Center for BioNano Interactions, School of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, University College of Dublin, Ireland (Director: Kenneth Dawson).
Characterization of silica nanoparticles in water and in cell culture medium using the Differential Centrifugal Sedimentation (CPS).
Apr 2011 - Apr 2014. Post Doc Junior - Center for Bio-Molecular Nanotechnologies, Italian Institute of Technology (CBN-IIT), Via Barsanti, Arnesano (Lecce), Italy.
Synthesis, functionalization and characterization of different nanomaterials for toxicity evaluation and study of biointeractions between nanostructures and biological systems.
Apr 2008 - Apr 2011. PhD in “Science and interdisciplinary technologies-Nanoscience sector” at the National Nanotechnology Laboratory of CNR-INFM, Lecce (Italy)- XXIIIth cycle. Thesis: “ Development of innovative nanosystems as diagnostic and therapeutic agents and toxicity study”.
- Chemical synthesis of inorganic nanocrystals by means of colloidal approaches;
- Nanoparticles bioconjugation techniques;
- Use of standard air- free techniques (glove-box);
- Spectroscopic characterization of nanocrystals (UV-vis absorption and photoluminescence, FT-IR);
- Dimensional and morphological characterization of nanocrystals (powder X-Ray Difffraction, Transmission Electron
Microscopy, Dynamic Light Scattering, Zeta Potential, ICP-OES, Gel Electrophoresis);
- Knowledge of the culture systems of human cells.
Sep 2009. CFN Summer school, Nanobiology, DFG-Centrum für Funktionelle Nanostrukturen, University of Karlsruhe (TH), Karlsruhe, Germany.
Mar 2008. Reasearch grant - National Council of Research (CNR) , Cybernetics Institute “E. Caianiello”, Pozzuoli (Napoli), Italy.
Expert on the Study of Quantum Rods toxicity in Hydra vulgaris.
Sep 2007. Master Degree in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology- Thesis Title: “Study of the effect of fluorescent nanoparticles of new production on a model organism, Hydra vulgaris”. Supervisor Dr. C.Tortiglione. University “Federico II”, Napoli, Italy. Score: 110/110.
Sep 2006 - Sep 2007. Internship - National Council of Research (CNR) , Cybernetics Institute “E. Caianiello”, Pozzuoli (Napoli), Italy.
- Knowledge of the culture systems of animal Biology (Hydra vulgaris)
- Fluorescent Microscopy;
- Histological preparation and labelling of Tissues sections, fixing and inclusion of animals.
Sep 2005. Bachelor Degree in Medical and Pharmaceutical Biotechnology- Thesis “Study of the functional and cellular consequences of the mitochondrial carrier of ADP/ATP mutations conbined to adPEO syndrome”. Supervisor Prof. Luigi Palmieri. University of Bari “Aldo Moro”, Bari, Italy.
Board of Directors of Nanotechnology Industries Association (NIA)
• SMARTNANOPHARMA, Cluster Tecnologici Regionali per l’Innovazione, Regione Puglia, 2015-2017. Role in the project: HiQ-Nano Unit Coordinator.
• NanoReg 2: EU project, Horizon 2020. Role in the Project: HiQ-Nano Unit Coordinator.
• NanoReg: EU project, 7th Framework Programme, 2013-2016. Role in the Project: Participant. Supervisor for Italian Institute of Technology of nanomaterials production and characterization.
• Quality Nano Project: EU project, 7th Framework Programme, 2011-2015. Role in the Project: Participant.
1. M.A. Malvindi, L. Carbone, A. Quarta, A. Tino, L. Manna, T. Pellegrino, C. Tortiglione, “Rod-Shaped Nanocrystals Elicit Neuronal Activity In Vivo”, Small, 2008, 4, No. 10, 1747–1755.
2. C. Tortiglione, A. Quarta, M.A. Malvindi, A. Tino, T. Pellegrino, “Fluorescent Nanocrystals Reveal Regulated Portals of Entry into and Between the Cells of Hydra”, Plos One, 2009 , Vol. 4, Issue 11 , e7698.
3.C. Tortiglione, M.A. Malvindi, A. Quarta, A. Tino, T. Pellegrino, “Elucitading the mechanisms of cellular uptake of rod shaped semiconductor nanocrystals: a tunable interaction”, European Cells and Materials , 2009, Vol. 18. Suppl. 2 (page 8).
4. S. Casciaro, F. Conversano, A. Ragusa, M.A. Malvindi, R. Franchini, A. Greco, T. Pellegrino, G. Gigli, “Optimal Enhancement Configuration of Silica Nanoparticles for Ultrasound Imaging and Automatic Detection at Conventional Diagnostic Frequencies”, Investigative Radiology, 2010, 45(11):715-24.
5. G. Bardi, M.A. Malvindi, L. Gherardini, M. Costa, P.P. Pompa, R. Cingolani, T. Pizzorusso, “The biocompatibility of amino functionalized CdSe/ZnS quantum-dot – doped SiO2 nanoparticles with primary neural cells and their gene carrying performance”, Biomaterials, 2010, Vol. 31 (25), 6555-6566.
6. G. Maiorano, S. Sabella, B. Sorce, V. Brunetti, M.A. Malvindi, R. Cingolani, P.P. Pompa, "Effects of Cell Culture Media on the Dynamic Formation of Protein-Np Complexes and influence on the Cellular Response" , ACS Nano, 2010, 28;4(12):7481-91.
7. G. Maiorano, L. Rizzello, M.A. Malvindi, S.S. Shankar, L. Martiradonna, A. Falqui, R. Cingolani, P.P. Pompa, "Monodispersed and size-controlled multibranched gold nanoparticles with nanoscale tuning of surface morphology", Nanoscale,2011,3,2227-2232.
8. M.A. Malvindi, A. Greco, F. Conversano, A. Figuerola, M. Corti,M. Bonora, A. Lascialfari,H.A. Doumari, M. Moscardini, R. Cingolani, G. Gigli, S. Casciaro, T. Pellegrino, A. Ragusa, "Magnetic/Silica nanocomposites as dual-mode contrast agents for combined Magnetic Resonance Imaging and UltraSonography", Advanced Functional materials, 2011, 13, 2548-2555.
9. P. Kshirsagar, S. Shiv Shankar, M.A. Malvindi, L. Martiradonna, R. Cingolani, P.P. Pompa, "Synthesis of highly stable Silver nanoparticles by phoreduction and their size fractionation by phase transfer method", Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 2011.
10. G.Vecchio, A. Galeone, V. Brunetti, G. Maiorano, M.A. Malvindi, S. Sabella, R. Cingolani, P.P. Pompa, "In vivo nanotoxicity assessment: the role of size, surface coating, nanostructuration, and dose-metrics", Nanotech 2011, Vol 3, Chapter 7, Environment, Health & Safety, Pages 509–512, 2011.
11. M.A. Malvindi, R. Di Corato, A. Curcio, M.G. Rimoli, C. Tortiglione, A. Tino, G. Chandramohan, V. Brunetti, R. Cingolani, T. Pellegrino, A. Ragusa, "Multiple functionalization of fluorescent nanoparticles with different biomolecules and drug delivery of dopamine", Nanoscale, 3, Issue 12, 2012, pp. 5110-5119 (2011).
12. M.A. Malvindi, V. Brunetti, G. Vecchio, A. Galeone, R. Cingolani, P.P. Pompa, "SiO2 nanoparticles biocompatibility and their potential for gene delivery and silencing", Nanoscale 4 (2), 2012, 486-4951.
13. L. Rizzello, G. Vecchio, V. Brunetti, G. Maiorano, M.A. Malvindi, A. Galeone, S. Sabella, P.P. Pompa, " Impact of nanomaterials on in vitro and in vivo systems : role of nanoscale features in nanotoxicology", SPIE Proceedings Vol. 8232, 2 febbraio, 2012.
14. A. Galeone, G. Vecchio, M.A. Malvindi, V. Brunetti, R. Cingolani, P.P. Pompa, "In vivo assessment of CdSe-ZnS quantum dots: coating dependent bioaccumulation and genotoxicity", Nanoscale, 2012, 4, 6401.
15. G. Vecchio, A. Galeone, M. A. Malvindi, R. Cingolani, P. P. Pompa, "Ranking the in vivo toxicity of nanomaterials in Drosophila melanogaster", J. Nanopart. Res., 2013, 15:1936.
16. V. Brunetti,H. Chibli, R. Fiammengo, A. Galeone, M.A. Malvindi, G. Vecchio, R. Cingolani, J.L. Nadeau, P.P. Pompa "InP/ZnS as a safer alternative to CdSe/ZnS core/shell quantum dots: in vitro and in vivo toxicity assessment", Nanoscale, 2013, 5 (1), 307-317.
17. F. Pisanello, L. Martiradonna, L. Sileo, V. Brunetti, G. Vecchio, M.A. Malvindi, G. Morello, M. Zanella, P. P. Pompa, L. Manna, M. De Vittorio, "Highly luminescent, flexible and biocompatible cadmium-based nanocomposites", Microeletronic Engineering, 2013,111, 299-303.
18. G. Iovino, M.A. Malvindi, S. Agnello, G. Buscarino, A. Alessi, P.P. Pompa, F.M. Gelardi, "Optical and morphological properties of infrared emitting functionalized silica nanoparticles", Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2013, 142, 2-3, 763-769.
19. A. Massaro, F. Spano, M. Missori, M.A. Malvindi, P. Cazzato, R. Cingolani, A. Athanassiou, "Flexible nanocomposites with all-optical tactile sensing capability", RSC Adv., 2014, 4, 2820-2825.
20. A. Massaro, N.I. Giannoccaro, L. Spedicato, A. Lay-Ekuakille, M. Missori, M.A. Malvindi, "Characterization of an innovative like-eye sensor for feature detection and robot sensing", Measurement, 2014, 55, 153-167.
21. S. Guerrieri, A. Qualtieri, A. Quarta, S. Nitti, L. Sileo, M. A. Malvindi, S. Petroni, T. Pellegrino, M. De Vittorio, F. Pisanello, Nanotechnology (IEEE-NANO), 2014 IEEE 14th International Conference, 92-95.
22. D. Guarnieri*, M.A. Malvindi*, V. Belli, P.P. Pompa, P. Netti, "Effect of silica nanoparticles with variable size and surface functionalization on human endothelial cell viability and angiogenic activity", Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 2014, 16, 2, 1-14.*equally contributed authors
23. D. Guarnieri, S. Sabella, O. Muscetti , V. Belli, M. A. Malvindi , S. Fusco, E. De Luca, P.P. Pompa, P.A. Netti, “Transport across the cell-membrane dictates nanoparticle fate and toxicity: a new paradigm in nanotoxicology”, Nanoscale, 2014, 6, 10264-10273.
24. M.A. Malvindi, V. De Matteis, A. Galeone, V. Brunetti, G.C. Anyfantis, A. Athanassiou, R. Cingolani, P.P. Pompa, "Toxicity Assessment of Silica Coated Iron Oxide Nanoparticles and Biocompatibility Improvement by Surface Engineering", PLoS One. 2014; 9(1).
25. P. Kshirsagar, S.S.Sangaru, V. Brunetti, M. A. Malvindi, P. P. Pompa, "Synthesis of fluorescent metal nanodots in aqueous solution by photochemical reduction", 2014, Nanotechnology, 25.
26. O. Gamucci, A. Bertero, M.A. Malvindi, S. Sabella, P.P. Pompa, B. Mazzolai, G. Bardi, "Detection of fluorescent nanoparticle interactions with primary immune cell subpopulations by flow cytometry", J. Vis. Exp., 2014;85, e51345.
27. S. Sabella, R. Carney, V. Brunetti, M.A. Malvindi, N. Al. Juffali, G. Vecchio, S. M. Janes, O. M. Bakr, R. Cingolani, F. Stellacci, P.P. Pompa, "A General Mechanism for Intracellular Toxicity of Metal-Containing Nanoparticles", Nanoscale, 2014, 6, 7052.
28. A. Ambrosone, M. R. Scotto di Vettimo, M. A. Malvindi, M. Roopin, V. Marchesano, P.P. Pompa, C. Tortiglione, A. Tino, "Impact of amorphous SiO2 Nanoparticles on a living organism: Morphological, Behavioral, and Molecular Biology Implications", Front Bioeng Biotechnol. 2014; 2: 37.
29. V. De Matteis, M.A. Malvindi, A. Galeone, V. Brunetti, E. De Luca, S. Kote, P. Kshirsagar, S. Sabella, G. Bardi, P.P. Pompa, "Negligible particle-specific toxicity mechanism of silver nanoparticles: The role of Ag+ ion release in the cytosol", Nanomedicine, 2015, 11, 3, 731–739.
30. F. Gatto, O.P. Troncoso, V. Brunetti, M.A. Malvindi, P.P. Pompa, F.G. Torres, G. Bardi, "Human monocyte response to andean-native starch nanoparticles", Starch, 2016, vol. 68, pp. 1 - 8, 1521-379X.
• Elected Board of Directors of Nanotechnology Industries Association (NIA).
• Project Award: "Characterization of different silica nanostructures", UCD, Ireland: 5.0 days for access to University College Dublin (UCD) to the Translational Access programme under the QualityNano Project, 2012.
• Biomaterials Best image of the Year 2010 with the paper "The biocompatibility of amino functionalized CdSe/ZnS quantum-dot-Doped SiO2 nanoparticles with primary neural cells and their gene carrying performance", Biomaterials, 31 (2010) 6555e6566.