• Fadiga L, Tia B, Viaro R (2015). Anatomy and physiology of the mirror neuron system. In: Toga AW (Ed), Brain mapping: an encyclopedic reference, vol. 2:411-416, Academic Press Elsevier.
Full papers on peer-reviewed international journals
• Tia B, Viaro R, Fadiga L (2018). Tool-use training temporarily enhances cognitive performance in long-tailed macaques (Macaca fascicularis). Anim Cogn 21:365-378.
• *Viaro R, *Banty T, Coudé G, Canto R, Oliynyk A, Salmas P, Masia L, Sandini G, Fadiga L (2017). Finger pressure adjustments to various object configurations during precision grip in humans and monkeys. Eur J Neurosci 45:1473-1484.
• Viaro R, Bonazzi L, Maggiolini E, Franchi G (2017). Cerebellar modulation of cortically evoked complex movements in rats. Cereb Cortex 27:3525-3541.
• Arcuri L, Viaro R, Bido S, Longo F, Calcagno M, Fernagut PO, Zaveri NT, Calò G, Bezard E, Morari M (2016). Genetic and pharmacological evidence that endogenous nociceptin/orphanin FQ contributes to dopamine cell loss in Parkinson's disease. Neurobiol Dis 89:55-64.
• Mabrouk O, Viaro R, Volta M, Ledonne A, Mercuri N, Morari M (2014). Stimulation of delta opioid receptor and blockade of nociceptin/orphanin FQ receptor synergistically attenuate parkinsonism. J Neurosci 34:12953-12962.
• Viaro R, Budri M, Parmiani P, Franchi G (2014). Adaptive changes in the motor cortex during and after long-term forelimb immobilization in adult rats. J Physiol 592:2137-2152.
• Fadiga L, Caselli L, Craighero L, Gesierich B, Olyinik A, Tia B, Viaro R (2013). Activity in ventral premotor cortex is modulated by vision of own hand in action. PeerJ 1:e88:1-23.
• Viaro R, Calcagno M, Marti M, Borrelli E, Morari M (2013). Pharmacological and genetic evidence for pre- and postsynaptic D2 receptor involvement in motor responses to nociceptin/orphanin FQ receptor ligands. Neuropharmacology 72:126-138.
• Mabrouk O, Mela F, Calcagno M, Budri M, Viaro R, Dekundy A, Parsons CG, Auberson YP, Morari M (2013). GluN2A and GluN2B NMDA receptor subunits differentially modulate striatal output pathways and contribute to levodopa-induced abnormal involuntary movements in dyskinetic rats. ACS Chem Neurosci 4:808-816.
• Bonazzi L, Viaro R, Lodi E, Canto R, Bonifazzi C, Franchi G (2013). Complex movement topography and extrinsic space representation in the rat forelimb motor cortex as defined by long-duration intracortical microstimulation. J Neurosci 33:2097-2107.
• Viaro R, Morari M, Franchi G (2011). Progressive motor cortex functional reorganization following 6-hydroxydopamine lesioning in rats. J Neurosci 31:4544-4554.
• Volta M, Viaro R, Trapella C, Marti M, Morari M (2011). Dopamine-nociceptin/orphanin FQ interactions in the substantia nigra reticulata of hemiparkinsonian rats: Involvement of D2/D3 receptors and impact on nigro-thalamic neurons and motor activity. Exp Neurol 228:126-137.
• Viaro R, Marti M, Morari M (2010). Dual motor response to L-dopa and nociceptin/orphanin FQ receptor antagonists in 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,5,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP) treated mice: paradoxical inhibition is relieved by D2/D3 receptor blockade. Exp Neurol 223:473-484.
• *Marti M, *Viaro R, Guerrini R, Franchi G, Morari M (2009). Nociceptin/orphanin FQ modulates motor behavior and primary motor cortex output through receptors located in substantia nigra reticulate. Neuropsychopharmacol 34:341-355. *Marti M and *Viaro R equally contributed to this work.
• Maggiolini E, Viaro R, Franchi G (2008). Suppression of activity in the forelimb motor cortex temporarily enlarges forelimb representation in the homotopic cortex in adult rats. Eur J Neurosci 27:2733-2746.
• Viaro R, Sanchez-Pernaute R, Marti M, Trapella C, Isacson O, Morari M(2008). Nociceptin/orphanin FQ receptor blockade attenuates MPTP-induced parkinsonism. Neurobiol Dis 30:430-438.
• Marti M, Trapella C, Viaro R, Morari M(2007). The nociceptin/orphanin FQ receptor antagonist J-113397 and L-DOPA additively attenuate experimental parkinsonism through overinhibition of the nigrothalamic pathway. J Neurosci 27:1297-1307.