Leonardo Cappello obtained his bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering from University of Florence with the thesis “The Design of Lower Limb Prosthesis for Developing Countries” in 2009. With such thesis he won the “Tattarillo” Award 2012 - Appropriate technologies and South of the World, released by Engineers Without Borders – Florence.
In 2011 he graduated in Biomedical Engineering – master degree – with the thesis “Design of patella loading device for use during knee surgery” at University of Florence. Such thesis was written during the internship LLLP/Erasmus Placement at the European Centre for Knee Research, Smith & Nephew, Leuven (Belgium).
In 2012 he was recruited as research fellow by the Italian Institute of Technology (IIT) and in 2013 he was enrolled in the PhD course in “Robotics, Cognition and Interaction Technologies” in IIT – Robotics, Brain and Cognitive Sciences department. During this period he has been collaborating in projects with University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, US), University of Bristol (Bristol, UK), Nanyang Technological University (Singapore) and National University of Singapore.
From Jan 2014 to Aug 2015 he was visiting PhD student at the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering of Nanyang Technological University under the supervision of Prof. Lorenzo Masia.
His work is mainly on the design and development of mechatronic systems for assistive technologies, but his research focus includes haptics, rehabilitation robotics and neurosciences.
1. L. Cappello The design of lower limb prosthesis for developing countries. Appropriate Technology, 2012. http://researchwebshelf.com/DocuDetails.php?SrlNo=364.
2. L. Masia, L. Cappello, P. Morasso, X. Lachenap.l, A. Pirrera, P. Weaver, and F. Mattioni, “Carapace: A novel composite advanced robotic actuator powering assistive compliant exoskeleton preliminary design,” in Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR), 2013 IEEE International Conference on. IEEE, 2013, pp. 1–8.
3. F. Marini, L. Cappello, V. Squeri, P. Morasso, P. Moretti, A. Riva, L. Doglio, L. Masia, “Online modulation of assistance in robot aided wrist rehabilitation a pilot study on a subject affected by dystonia”, in Haptics Symposium (HAPTICS), IEEE, 2014.
4. L. Masia, M. Casadio, V. Squeri, L. Cappello, D. De Santis, J. Zenzeri, and P. Morasso, “Enhancing Recovery of Sensorimotor Functions: The Role of Robot Generated Haptic Feedback in the Re-learning Process”, Neuro-Robotics. Springer Netherlands, 2014. pp. 285-316.
5. L. Cappello, S. Contu, N. Elangovan, S. Khosravani, J. Konczak, and L. Masia, “Evaluation of wrist joint proprioception by means of a robotic device,” in Ubiquitous Robots and Ambient Intelligence (URAI), 2014 11th International Conference on. IEEE, 2014, pp. 531–534.
6. N. Elangovan, L. Cappello, S. Contu, S. Khosravani, J. Konczak, and L. Masia, “Assessing proprioceptive acuity of wrist joint using a haptic robotic device”, in Neuroscience 2014 - Society For Neuroscience Annual Meeting, 2014.
7. L. Cappello, X. Lachenal, A. Pirrera, F. Mattioni, P. M. Weaver, and L. Masia, “Design, characterization and stability test of a multistable composite compliant actuator for exoskeletons,” in Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (2014 5th IEEE RAS & EMBS International Conference on. IEEE, 2014, pp. 1051–1056.
8. L. Cappello, N. Elangovan, S. Contu, S. Khosravani, J. Konczak, and L. Masia, “Robot-aided assessment of wrist proprioception,” Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, vol. 9, no. 198, 2015.
9. L. Cappello, A. Pirrera, P. Weaver, and L. Masia, “A series elastic composite actuator for soft arm exosuits: design and preliminary test” in Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR), 2015 IEEE International Conference on. IEEE, 2015.
10. F. Marini, V. Squeri, A. Riva, L. Cappello, L. Doglio, P. Morasso and L. Masia, “Adaptive wrist robot training in pediatric rehabilitation”, in Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR), 2015 IEEE International Conference on. IEEE, 2015.
11. B. K. Dinh, L. Cappello and L. Masia, “Control implementation of compliant composite material actuators for wearable robotic exoskeleton”, in Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR), 2015 IEEE International Conference on. IEEE, 2015.
12. L. Cappello, S. Contu, J. Konczak and L. Masia, “Wrist proprioceptive acuity: a comprehensive robot-aided assessment”, in Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBC, 2015 Annual International Conference of the IEEE. IEEE, 2015.
13. S. Contu, L. Cappello, J. Konczak and L. Masia, “Preliminary analysis of non-dominant proprioceptive acuity and interlimb asymmetry in the human wrist”, in Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBC, 2015 Annual International Conference of the IEEE. IEEE, 2015.
Best Student Paper Award - IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics 2015 (Singapore)
"Tattarillo" Award - Appropriate Technologies and South of the World - Engineers Without Borders (Florence)