Born in Torino (TO), Italy in 1976, Claudio Gerbaldi (C.G.) got his Laurea Degree in Chemistry at the University of Torino in AY 2001/2002. In November 2002, he passed the qualifying examination for Chemistry practice. In March 2006, C.G. earned the Degree of Ph.D. in Materials Science and Technology (XVIII cycle) at the Politecnico di Torino. From January 2006 to December 2009, he had several Post-Doctoral Researcher positions at Politecnico di Torino for the development, structural/morphological and electrochemical characterization of innovative electrode/electrolyte materials and cells for energy applications (i.e., Li-based batteries and fuel cells). From January 2010 to September 2011, C.G. got a Senior Post-Doc Position at the new-born CSHR - Center for Human Space Robotics @POLITO of the Italian Institute of Technology (IIT), in the Energy platform for the research in the field of innovative systems for the energy storage and production (particularly, thin and flexible lithium cells with nanostructured electrodes and polymer electrolytes, polymeric capacitors, photovoltaic cells and systems for hydrogen production).
Since September 2011, C.G. is an Assistant Professor at the Politecnico di Torino, Department of Applied Science and Technology - DISAT (SECTOR: CHIM/07).
Since October 2011, he is also affiliated/external collaborator for the Italian Institute of Technology (IIT).
Currently, his main research areas concern the developments of energy production and storage devices and related materials (synthesis and structural-morphological and electrochemical characterization of meso-/nanostructured electrode materials and polymer electrolyte membranes prepared by UV-induced and thermal photopolymerisation).
C.G. is also responsible professor for the Chemistry course at the Politecnico di Torino.
C.G. is author/co-author of 37 articles published on international ISI journals with referee, 2 book chapters and 2 international patents. He is a member of the Editorial Board of the Global Journal of Physical Chemistry, Simplex Academic Publisher (ISSN 0976-9137).
He is an official referee for high-level international ISI journals such as Energy & Environmental Science, Advanced Energy Materials, Journal of Materials Chemistry, Electrochimica Acta, Journal of Materials Science, European Polymer Journal. He has been attending several national and international conferences, giving more than 50 oral talks and/or poster presentations. He has been invited speaker at the NANOFORUM conference (VI Edition, 2010), Turin (ITALY). C.G. has received awards and recognitions, among which in particular the "UniCredit Award" for the Innovation in Research, promoted by UniCredit Group with Unione Industriale di Torino, Politecnico and University of Torino and National Research Council for his Ph.D. Thesis. From 2002 to date he is a member of the Italian Chemical Society, Electrochemistry Division (card N° 14201).
1. J.R. Nair, C. Gerbaldi, G. Meligrana, R. Bongiovanni, S. Bodoardo, N. Penazzi, P. Reale, V. Gentili. “UV-Cured Methacrylic Membranes as Novel Gel-Polymer Electrolyte for Li-ion Batteries” J. Power Sources 178 (2008) 751-757.
2. C. Gerbaldi, J.R. Nair, S. Ahmad, G. Meligrana, R. Bongiovanni, S. Bodoardo, N. Penazzi. “UV-cured polymer electrolytes encompassing hydrophobic room temperature ionic liquid for lithium batteries” J. Power Sources 195 (2010) 1706-1713.
3. C. Gerbaldi. “All-solid-state lithium-based polymer cells for high-temperature applications” Ionics 16 (2010) 777-786.
4. C. Gerbaldi, J.R. Nair, G. Meligrana, R. Bongiovanni, S. Bodoardo, N. Penazzi. “UV-curable siloxaneacrylate gel-copolymer electrolytes for lithium-based battery applications” Electrochim. Acta 55 (2010) 1460-1467.
5. J.R. Nair, C. Gerbaldi, M. Destro, R. Bongiovanni, N. Penazzi N. “Methacrylic-based solid polymer electrolyte membranes for lithium-based batteries by a rapid UV-curing process” React. Funct. Polym. 71 (2011) 409-416.
6. G. Meligrana, C. Gerbaldi, A. Tuel, S. Bodoardo, N. Penazzi. “Hydrothermal synthesis of high surface LiFePO4 powders as cathode for Li-ion cells” J. Power Sources 160 (2006) 516-522.
7. S. Ferrari, E. Quartarone, P. Mustarelli, A. Magistris, M. Fagnoni, A. Albini, C. Gerbaldi, A. Spinella. “Lithium ion conducting PVdF-HFP composite gel electrolytes based on N-methoxyethyl-Nmethylpyrrolidinium bis(trifluoromethanesulfonyl)-imide ionic liquid” J. Power Sources 195 (2010) 559-566.
8. A. Lamberti, M. Destro, S. Bianco, M. Quaglio, A. Chiodoni, C.F. Pirri, C. Gerbaldi. “Facile fabrication of cuprous oxide nanocomposite anode films for flexible Li-ion batteries via thermal oxidation” Electrochim. Acta 70 (2012) 62-68.
9. L. Jabbour, M. Destro, C. Gerbaldi, D. Chaussy, N. Penazzi, D. Beneventi. “Aqueous processing of cellulose based paper-anodes for flexible Li-ion batteries”. J. Mater. Chem. 22 (2012) 3227-3233.
10. D. Daghero, F. Paolucci, A. Sola, M. Tortello, G.A. Ummarino, M. Agosto, R.S. Gonnelli, J.R. Nair, C. Gerbaldi. “Large Conductance Modulation of Gold Thin Films by Huge Charge Injection via Electrochemical Gating” Physical Review Letters, 108 (2012) 066807(1-5).