!!! APPLICATIONS for THESIS projects or as PRE-DOC or POSTDOC FELLOWS are welcome !!!
I am an Assistant Professor of Physiology (Tenure-track) at the University of Genoa (Dept. of Pharmacy) and Visiting Scientist at the Italian Institute of Technology and San Martino Hospital in Genoa.
My team is studying neuronal plasticity at different levels (structural and functional, at the synaptic level as well as looking at intrinsic excitability) using the cerebellum as a model area, to understand better the mechanisms used in this circuit to encode information and memory. We also investigate pathological alterations of the structure and function of this circuit in brain diseases such as multiple sclerosis, cerebellar ataxia, autism and other neuropathologies.
- 11/2023-11/2025 National Relevant Interest Projects (PRIN-PNRR) (co-PI), Italian Min. of University and Research
- 10/2023-10/2025 National Relevant Interest Projects (PRIN-2022) (PI & Coordinator), Italian Min. of University and Research
- 01/2022-10/2025 Extended Partnership for Neuroscience “MNESYS” (Member, Spoke 3), Italian Min. of University and Research
- 01/2022-12/2024 Ricerca Corrente (PI & Coordinator), San Martino Hospital, Italian Ministry of Health
- 11/2021-11/2024 Ricerca Finalizzata - Young Researchers (PI & Coordinator), Italian Ministry of Health
- 07/2021-06/2023 5x1000 (PI & Coordinator), San Martino Hospital, Italian Ministry of Health
- 07/2019-06/2021 EU-H2020 Marie-Curie Individual Fellowship (MSCA-IF-2018) (EU)
- 01/2017-12/2017 Investigator-initiated Research (PI), Biohaven Pharma (US)
- 01/2016-12/2016 Young Investigator SCA Research Award (PI), National Ataxia Foundation (US)
- patch-clamp electrophysiology in acute brain slices and primary neuronal cultures
- in vivo microinjections
- viral vectors for gene expression/silencing
- fluorescent/confocal microscopy and morphometric analysis
------CALL FOR NEW LAB MEMBERS------
Self-applications are welcome for undergrad (BSc / Laurea Triennale, MSc / Laurea Magistrale), graduate and postdoctoral positions.
Postdoctoral candidates interested in applying to external funding (such as MSCA or EMBO Fellowship) with our lab as a host institution are especially welcome (see here for details: https://www.fens.org/careers/job-market/job/100231).
- Mattia Musto (Postdoc, 2019-2022), Senior Research Scientist, Evotec
- Giacomo Marenco (Medical Intern, 2021), MD Resident in Psychiatry, University of Genoa
- Edgar Ricardo Javier Mendoza Seclen (Visiting student, 2021-2022 from Univ. Milan Bicocca)
- Federica Palmerio (Graduate Fellow, 2022-2023), PhD student, University of Rome Tor Vergata
PERSONAL & TEAM MEMBERS' AWARDS
06/2022 Poster Award (Matilde Bergamini) at the National PhD Meeting, Italian Society for Neuroscience (SINS)
10/2021 Poster Award (Mattia Musto) at FEPS European Physiology Day Virtual Meeting, Federation of European Physiology Societies (FEPS)
09/2021 Poster Award (GG) at SINS conference, Italian Society for Neuroscience (SINS)
01/2021 Travel award (Mattia Musto) for JNS Meeting, Japan Neuroscience Society (JNS)
04/2019 IBRO World Congress Travel Grant (GG), International Brain Research Organization (IBRO)
01/2019 Travel award (GG) for JNS Meeting, Japan Neuroscience Society (JNS)
06/2018 Young Investigator Award (Premio SIF, GG), Physiological Society of Italy (SIF)
CONTACTS & REFERENCES
Email: giorgio.grasselli [at] iit.it || giorgio.grasselli [at] unige.it || giorgio.grasselli [at] hsanmartino.it
UniGE profile: https://rubrica.unige.it/personale/UkJCX1No
ORCID (0000-0002-2942-9615): https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2942-9615
Scopus (35573436500): https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=35573436500
WoS (ResearcherID G-5094-2012): https://www.webofscience.com/wos/author/record/G-5094-2012
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=DhuYSj8AAAAJ&hl=en