I was born in Siracusa (Italy) in 1977. I graduated in Theoretical Physics in 1999 (110/110 cum laude) from the University of Pisa (Italy) and received my Ph.D. in Physics (70/70 cum laude) in January 2003 from the Scuola Normale Superiore (Pisa, Italy). Immediately after my Ph.D. I went to work at the University of Texas at Austin (USA) as a postdoctoral fellow in the group of Prof. Allan H. MacDonald. After six months I was offered a tenure-track position in the INFM “NEST” laboratory (“National Enterprise for nanoScience and nanoTechnology”) of Scuola Normale Superiore. I was tenured in late 2008 as “Ricercatore” (the first-tier permanent position within the Italian National Research Council) at the Istituto Nanoscienze of the National Research Council (CNR), where I worked until August 31, 2015. I am currently a Senior Scientist at the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (Italian Institute of Technology) in Genoa (Italy), where I lead the “Theory and Technology of 2D materials” group. I have co-authored more than 140 publications in peer-reviewed international journals including Science, Nature Materials, Nature Nanotechnology, Nature Photonics, Nature Communications, and Physical Review Letters and I am a coauthor of the book “Many-body physics in condensed matter systems” (Edizioni della Normale, Pisa, 2006). I have carried out research at the University of Texas at Austin (USA), at the Zhejiang Normal University (China), at the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing (China), at Purdue University (USA), at the University of Missouri-Columbia (USA), at Texas A&M University (USA), at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics in Santa Barbara (USA), at the University of New South Wales (Australia), at the Cambridge Graphene Center (UK), at the Graphene Research Center in Singapore, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA), at the Institute of Photonic Sciences - ICFO (Spain), and at the University of Manchester (UK). In 2010 I was awarded with the Italian grant “FIRB - Futuro in Ricerca”.
11/12/2013-11/12/2019: Habilitation for Associate and Full Professor positions at Italian Universities (Sector 02/B2, Theory of Condensed Matter).
11-26/11/2013: Gordon Godfrey Visitor to the School of Physics, University of New South Wales (Sydney, Australia).
4-10/11/2013: Visiting Scientist, Yale-NUS College and Graphene Research Center,
National University of Singapore (Singapore).
1/10/2012 - 15/12/2012: Visiting Professor at the Texas A&M University (College Station, Texas, USA).
2010: Prize from the "Iran Nanotechnology Initiative Council" (INIC). The prize nomination was: "the best foreign researcher who has the largest number of collaborations with Iranian counterparts"
2010: Winner of the italian grant FIRB - Futuro in Ricerca
1/12/2007 - 31/11/2008: Visiting Professor at the Zhejiang Normal University (Jinhua, Zhejiang Province, China).
National and international services
- Editor of the IOP journal "2D Materials" (July 29, 2013 - present).
- Editor of the IOP journal "Europhysics Letters" (April 1, 2014, for three years).
- Grant reviewer for the European Research Council (ERC) - StGs and AdGs.
- Grant reviewer for the Ambizione Grants of the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF), the VENI Grants of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), the Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering of the US Department of Energy (DOE), the US National Science Foundation (NSF), and NSERC (Canada).
- Referee for most major research journals including Science, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA), Nature Materials, Nature Nanotechnology, Nature Communications, Scientific Reports, Physical Review Letters, Nano Letters, New Journal of Physics, and Physical Review B.
- Referee for Ph.D. and M.Sc. candidates outside Italy: J. Sabio (Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain); M.P. Mink (Utrecht University, The Netherlands); T. Li (University of New South Wales, Australia); M. Badioli (ICFO, Spain)