I am a Postdoc in Nanomaterials for Biomedical Application Group. Currently I am working for an AIRC funded project entitled "Advanced glioblastoma therapy: nanoparticles for magnetic hyperthermia, heat-mediated drug delivery and tumor targeting" since 2018.
Before this postdoctoral experience at IIT, I was also a postdoctoral fellow in Buenos Aires (Argentina) from 2016-2018, working in a project about tumoral growth under controlled conditions in microfluidic devices, in Universidad Tecnologica Nacional. I got my PhD in Biomedical Engineering in Polytechnic University from Madrid (Spain) in 2014. My thesis was about biomedical applications of magnetic nanoparticles and gold nanorods for diagnosis and therapy.
01/01/2009-29/09/2014 PhD in Biomedical Engineering
Polytechnic University of Madrid, Spain. Center for Biomedical Technology (CTB).
Thesis title: Characterization of magnetic and gold nanoparticles for potential biomedical applications in diagnostics and therapy.
01/05/2006-16/03/2009 Master in Neurosciences
Autonomous University of Madrid, Spain. Faculty of Medicine
15/09/2000-15/02/2006 B.S. in Biology (Specialization in Neurobiology)
Complutense University of Madrid, Spain. Faculty of Biology
01/06/2018-currently: Postdoctoral researcher. Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia. Genoa (Italy). Group: Nanomaterials for Biomedical Applications.
Research Project: AIRC Foundation. Advancing glioblastoma therapy: nanoparticles for magnetic hyperthermia, heat-mediated drug delivery and tumor targeting.
01/04/2016-01/06/2018: CONICET Postdoctoral fellowship. Engineering Group for Special Coatings and Nanotechnology (IREN). National Technological University (UTN). Buenos Aires, Argentina. Research Project: Biological characterization of cancer stem like cells using microfluidic devices.
01/08/2014- 01/03/2016: Life Length Company. Science Park of Madrid. Senior Technician (01/08/2014-01/08/2015); Laboratory Cell Culture Specialist (01/08/2015-01/03/ 2016). Research Project: Measurement of the telomere length from mononuclear cells in human peripheral blood and human tissues.
01/06/2013-31/12/2013 Predoctoral researcher. Research Institute Hospital 12 de Octubre, Madrid. Neuroscience Group. Research Project: "Evaluation of cognitive ability and neurogenesis in hippocampus after oral administration of a phosphodiesterase 7 inhibitor in a mouse model with Alzheimer's disease".
01/01/2009-29/09/2014 Predoctoral fellow. Center for Biomedical Technology (CTB), Polytechnic University of Madrid (UPM). Research Project: Development of contrast agents with magnetic nanoparticles for the early detection by magnetic resonance of biomarkers of Alzheimer's disease / Development of nanoconjugates for the selective detection of biomarkers and destruction by optical hyperthermia of human astrocytomas. PhD in Biomedical Engineering.
01/06/2008-31/12/2008 Predoctoral Research fellow ad honorem.Institute of Research Hospital 12 de Octubre, Madrid. Group of mitochondrial diseases. Research Project: Involvement of senataxin and TDP43 genes in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Study in Spanish population.
01/01/2007-16/03/2009 Predoctoral Research fellow ad honorem. Autonomous University of Madrid. School of Medicine. Department of Anatomy, Histology and Neuroscience: Master in Neuroscience. Research Project: Efferent projections of the ventral tegmental area and substantia nigra pars compacta in rats. Study of single axonal tracing.
01/05/2006-31/12/2006 Predoctoral Research fellow ad honorem. Center for Applied Medical Research (CIMA). University of Navarra. Spain. Research Project: Efferent projections of the ventral tegmental area and substantia nigra pars compacta in rats. Study of single axonal tracing.
FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS
-Roche per la Ricerca indipendente 2020. (10/11/2021). Fondazione Roche Italia. First position prize. Research project: a new way to avoid side effects and treat efficiently glioblastoma, exploiting the combination of magnetic hyperthermia and differentiation therapy. Principal Investigator.
-MyWAVE COST Action EU program (21/03/2019) grant (COST Action: CA17115): short mission in Dr. Francisco J. Teran´s laboratory, IMDEA Nanoscience, Madrid (Spain).
-Postdoctoral Fellowship from CONICET (01/04/2016-01/06/2018), funded by Argentinian government.
-PhD in Biomedical engineering (29/09/2014) Excellent cum laude
-Research Institute Hospital 12 de Octubre. 01/06/2013-31/12/2013.Principal Investigator: Dr. Eva Carro. Research Fellow.
-Institute of Research Hospital 12 de Octubre. 01/06/2008-31/12/2008. Principal Investigator: Dr. Alberto Garcia Redondo. Research fellow ad honorem.
-Center for Applied Medical Research (CIMA). 01/05/2006-31/12/2006. Principal Investigator: Dr. Elisa Mengual. Research fellow ad honorem.
-Istituto Italiano d TECNOLOGIA. Genoa (Italy). 01_06_2018-currently. Principal Investigator: Dr. Teresa Pellegrino. Postdoc.
-National Technological University (UTN). Buenos Aires, Argentina. Engineering Group for Special Coatings and Nanotechnology (IREN). 01_04_2016-01_05_2018. Principal Investigator: Dr. Carlos Alberto Lasorsa. CONICET Postdoctoral fellow.
SELECTED PARTICIPATION IN RESEARCH PROJECTS
-Roche per la Ricerca: a NEW WAY TO AVOID SIDE EFFECTS AND TREAT EFFICIENTLY GLIOBLASTOMA, EXPLOITING THE COMBINATION OF MAGNETIC HYPERTHERMIA AND DIFFERENTIATION THERAPYâ€. 50000 euros. 2020-2021. Principal Investigator.
-AIRC Italian Foundation for Cancer Research: â€œAdvancing glioblastoma therapy: nanoparticles for magnetic hyperthermia, heat-mediated drug delivery and tumor targeting. 2018-2021. Team member.
-Florencio Fiorini Subsidies for Biomedical Sciences. Cancer Stem Cells study using Lab On a Chip systems. $96.000 2017-2018. Team member.
- Evaluation of cognition and hippocampal neurogenesis after oral administration of a phosphodiesterase 7 inhibitor in an Alzheimer´s disease mice model. Alzheimer´s drug discovery Foundation. Principal Investigator: Eva Carro. (Biomedical Research Foundation Hospital Doce de Octubre). 2013-2014.Team member.
-Development of new nanoparticles and protocols to improve hyperthermia (NANOHYPERTERMIA). CIBER-BBN- UPM. Francisco del Pozo / J. J. Serrano. 2010-2012. Team member.
-Development of nanomagnetic markers for the diagnosis and early analysis of the progression of Alzheimer's disease using magnetic resonance imaging. Fundacion CIEN- CTB-UPM, CBMSO-UAM. Milagros Ramos Gomez. 2008- 2011. Team member.
(15) Gavilan H et al. 2021. Magnetic nanoparticles and clusters for magnetic hyperthermia: optimizing their heat performance and developing combinatorial therapies to tackle cancer. Chem. Soc. Rev., 2021, Advance Article
(14) Fernandes/Fernandez-Cabada* et al. 2021. *equal contribution. Magnetic Nanoparticle-Based Hyperthermia Mediates Drug Delivery and Impairs the Tumorigenic Capacity of Quiescent Colorectal Cancer Stem Cells. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2021 Apr 14;13(14):15959-15972.
(13) Balakrishnan et al. Exploiting Unique Alignment of Cobalt Ferrite Nanoparticles, Mild Hyperthermia, and Controlled Intrinsic Cobalt Toxicity for Cancer Therapy. Adv Mater. 2020 Nov;32(45):e2003712.
(12) Olmos et al. Hybrid microchannel-solid state micropore device for fast and optical cell detection. RSC Adv., 2020, 10, 5361-5370.
(11) Avugadda et al. Esterase-Cleavable 2D Assemblies of Magnetic Iron Oxide Nanocubes: Exploiting Enzymatic Polymer Disassembling To Improve Magnetic Hyperthermia Heat Losses. Chem Mater. 2019 Aug 13; 31(15):5450-5463.
(10) Fernandez-Cabada et al.* A Novel Contrast Agent Based on Magnetic Nanoparticles for Cholesterol Detection as Alzheimer's Disease Biomarker. Nanoscale Research Letters. 2019. 14(1):36. * corresponding author.
(9) Georg/Fernandez-Cabada* et al. 2018. Development of image analysis software for quantification of viable cells in microchips. PLOS One 13(3):e0193605. 2018. * equal contribution.
(8) Belgorosky/Fernandez-Cabada* et al. Analysis of tumoral spheres growing in a multichamber microfluidic device. Journal of Cellular Physiology; Volume233, Issue9; 6327-6336. 2018. Highlighted with the cover of the journal. * equal contribution.
(7) Bartolome et al. Amyloid B-induced impairments on mitochondrial dynamics, hippocampal neurogenesis, and memory are restored by phosphodiesterase 7 inhibition. Alzheimer's Research & Therapy 10(1):24. 2018.
(6) Fernandez Cabada et al. Functionalization and Characterization of Magnetic Nanoparticles for the Detection of Ferritin Accumulation in Alzheimer's Disease. ACS Chem Neurosci . 2018 May 16;9(5):912-924.
(5) Fernandez Cabada et al. (2016). Optical Hyperthermia Using Anti-Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor-Conjugated Gold Nanorods to Induce Cell Death in Glioblastoma Cell Lines. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Vol. 16, 7689â€“7695.
(4) Urbano-Bojorge et al. (2015). A Comparison of Magnetometry and Relaxometry Measures of Magnetic Nanoparticles Deposited in Biological Samples. Journal of Nano Research, 31: 129-137.
(3) Fernandez-Ruiz et al. (2014). Evaluation of the bioaccumulation kinetics of gold nanorods in vital mammalian organs by mean of TXRF spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry. 86(15):7383-7390. *senior author.
(2) Sanchez Lopez de Pablo et al. Photoacoustic effect measurement in aqueous suspensions of gold nanorods caused by low-frequency and low-power near-infrared pulsing laser irradiation. Applied Optics. 2013, (52): 4698- 4705.
(1) Fernandez Cabada et al. Induction of cell death in a glioblastoma line by hyperthermic therapy based on gold nanorods. International Journal of Nanomedicine .2012, (7): 1511-1523.
SELECTED PARTICIPATION IN NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES
-Belgorosky, D.*, Fernandez-Cabada, T.* et al.The use of microfluidic devices to analyse bladder cancer stem cells. SAIC (Argentinian Society for Scientific Research meeting). Mar del Plata, Argentina. 14-17 November 2018. * equal contribution.
-Belgorosky, D*; Fernandez-Cabada, T* et a. Microfluidic device to analyze cancer stem cells. Poster. IV International Congress of Translational Medicine. Buenos Aires, Argentina, 27, 28 March, 2018. * equal contribution. (Presentation author).
-Belgorosky D*, Fernandez-Cabada T*. et al. Lab on a Chip systems as a potential cancer stem identification method. SAIC (Argentinian Society for Scientific Research meeting). Buenos Aires, Argentina. 13-17 November 2017. * equal contribution.
-Belgorosky D*., Fernandez-Cabada T*. et al. Lab on a Chip systems as a potential cancer stem identification method. XXXII Days of Oncology Instituto OncolÃ³gico Ãngel H. Roffo. Buenos Aires, Argentina, 26-27 October, 2017. * equal contribution. (Presentation author).
-FernÃ¡ndez-Cabada et al. DEVELOPMENT OF â€œlab on a chipâ€ Microfluidic devices for culture and study of cancer stem cells. Poster. III International Congress of Translational Medicine. Buenos Aires, Argentina, 21, 22 Noviembre, 2016. (Presentation author).
-Fernandez Cabada et al. Oral administration of a phosphodiesterase 7 inhibitor improves hippocampal neurogenesis and memory in a mouse model of Alzheimer´s disease. Symposium Advances in AD. 2014. Switzerland. Poster.
-Redruejo et al. Pioneer application of the TXRF spectrometry to the evaluation of the bioaccumulation kinetic of gold nanorods by several vital mammalian organs. 15th International Conference on Total Reflection X-Ray Fluorescence Analysis and Related Methods (TXRF2013) and the 49th Annual Conference on X-Ray Chemical Analysis. The Discussion Group of X-Ray Analysis, The Japan Society for Analytical Chemistry-Osaka City University. 2013. Japan. Poster.
-Fernandez Cabada et al. Characterization of gold and magnetic nanoparticles for potential biomedical applications in diagnosis and therapy. Poster. 2nd Workshop on Nanomedicine. Barcelona, Spain. 2013. (Presentation author).
-Fernandez Cabada et al. Functionalized Magnetic Nanoparticles to detect amyloid plaques in Alzheimer´s disease by RMI. Global Alzheimer´s Research Summit. Fundacion Reina Sofia/Fundacion Pasqual Maragall. 2011. Spain. Poster. (Presentation autor).
-Fernandez-Cabada et al. Destruction of human glioblastoma cells mediated by cellular hyperthermia with nanoparticles. Poster. Jornadas de encuentro UAM-Instituto Cajal. Madrid, Spain. 2010. (Presentation author).
-Llavona et al. 7-Aminoheptanoic-acid coated cobalt nanowires for biomedical applications. BioCoat. Zaragoza, Spain, 2010. Poster.
-Ferro et al. Alternating gradient field magnetometers as a tool for the investigation on the mechanical and magnetic behaviour of magnetic nanoparticles in biological samples. Poster. Nanomedicine European Technology Platform. Montpellier, Francia, 2010.
-Ferro et al. Using alternating gradient field magnetometers for the characterization of the mechanical and magnetic behaviour of magnetic nanoparticles in biological samples. Poster. Nanospain. Malaga, Spain, 2010.
-Ferro et al. Characterization of magnetic and mechanical behavior of nanoparticles in biofluids and cells with a AGFM. Poster. XXVII Congreso annual de la Sociedad Espanola de Ingenieria Biomedica (CASEIB). Cadiz, Spain 2009.
-Atencia Cibreiro et al. TDP-43 gene study in Spanish Subpopulation of Familial Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. International Symposium on Rare Diseases. ICORD. 2008. Spain. Poster.
-Fernandez Cabada et al. . Structures innervated by neurons of the ventral tegmental area and the dorsal tier of substantia nigra pars compacta in the rat. XXIII Congress of the Spanish Anatomical Society. SPANISH ANATOMICAL SOCIETY. 2007. Alicante. Spain. Oral presentation. (Presentation author).
R+D ORGANIZATION ACTIVITIES
Co-organization of Workshop of Real Sociedad EspaÃ±ola de Historia Natural. VII Feria Madrid por la Ciencia. (2006).
REVIEWER EDITORIAL ACTIVITY
Nanoscale Research Letters (Springer Open), Advanced NanoBiomed Research (Wiley Online Library), Acta Biomaterialia (Elsevier), Cancers (MDPI).
- New approaches in cancer therapy though magnetic nanoparticles and magnetic hyperthermia
- Development of efficient systems based on magnetic hyperthermia and magnetic nanoparticles, in order to avoid metastasis and side effects of chemotherapy in cancer patients
Hiking, books, films, tv series, crochet, spend time with my husband and friends.