- since November 2014: Leader of the Optoelectronics group as Tenure Track researcher
- June 2009 - October 2014: Senior scientist at Nanofabrication Department of the Italian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Genova.
- January 2003 - June 2009: Researcher at the National Nanotechnology Labs of CNR-INFM, Italy. Work on optical and electronic properties of colloidal nanocrystals and biomolecules.
- November 2000 – December 2002: Postdoc at the Department of Condensed Matter Physics, Weizmann Institute of Science (Israel), in the group of Prof. Dr Israel Bar-Joseph. Research on electronic properties of single nano objects. Fellowships awarded from the Feinberg Graduate School and the Thyssen Foundation.
- October 2000: PhD in Physics, at the University of Hamburg. Topic: FIR Fourier-transform-spectroscopy on field-effect induced quantum dots and modulated two-dimensional electron systems.
- April 1996: Master in Physics Title: Raman spectroscopy on GaAs-AlGaAs microstructures in an external magnetic field.
Colloidal semiconductor nanocrystals can be excellent light emitters or absorbers, and the optical properties like for example the light emission wavelength, direction and polarization can be controlled via the nanocrystal size, shape and composition. This makes them very interesting as active material in light emitting, lasing, or photovoltaic devices, and we are exploring novel approaches for proof of principle prototypes. On the other hand, metal nanostructures are very good conductors and can strongly interact with light in the visible and infrared spectral regions due to the presence of free electrons that can perform plasmon oscillations, which opened the field of nanoplasmonics. Recently, graphene has attracted great interest as a 2D material with very appealing conductive, plasmonic, and mechanical properties. We aim at combining the favorable properties of these materials in order to investigate complex optoelectronic systems and to pave the way for novel architectures for components in photodetectors, optical communication, photovoltaics, plasmonics, and nanoscale electronics.
- Coordinator of the EU Horizon2020 MSCA Rise project “COMPASS-691185” for long term scientific exchange between IIT, Ludwigs-Maximilian-University, University of Gent and University of Utrecht with partner institutions University of California-Berkeley, Cornell Unversity, and Columbia University in the US, total budget 890 k€, 2016-2020.
- PI of the Molecular Foundry User Facility project # 3641 on Nanospectroscopic imaging of electrically contacted nanowire heterostructures, 2016/2017.
- PI (host) of the EU MSCA IEF project SCEL-TA - 659144 (2015-2017)
- PI in the Optoelectronics work package of the Core 1 phase of the FP7 FET Flagship "Graphene-Driven Revolutions in ICT and Beyond" (GRAPHENE), 2016-2018.
- PI for IIT in the CARIPLO project NANOCRYSLAS, Title: Micro-laser based on rod-shaped self-assembling colloidal semiconductor nanocrystals, 2013-2014, total budget 148.000€, 77k€ under my control.
- PI for IIT for the FP7 FET Flagship "Graphene-Driven Revolutions in ICT and Beyond" (GRAPHENE), starting 2013, 2013-2016, IIT budget 500.000€.
- IIT national project “Neuro-plasmonics”: plasmonic nanoneedles for multi-site intracellular recording”. Co-Principal investigator, budget: roughly 100K euro for 2 years.
- Workpackage leader of a European Commission financed FP7 STREP project (SA-NANO) and participation in the coordination of the project. The total value of the project was 2 million Euro over three years.
- Experienced researcher in a Transfer of knowledge Marie Curie project (NANOTAIL) coordinated by FORTH in Greece (2006-2009).
- Leader of a Molecular Foundry user facility project on electronic and optical characterization in a bilateral project financed by the Italian Ministry of Research (MIUR) with the Molecular Foundry in Berkeley, USA.
- Responsible scientist for the National Nanotechnology Laboratory (NNL) in a MIUR financed PRIN project (2004-2005) with total budget 120.000 Euros for 2 years.
- Project leader in two EU transnational access program financed visits to the Braun Center of Microstructure Research at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel.
- Program Chair of the 8th International Conference on Quantum Dots in Pisa, May 11-16 2014, Italy (www.qd2014.it).
- Co-organizer of the 3rd international conference “Nanoscience with Nanocrystals – NaNaX3” on May 21-31 2008 in Lecce, Italy.
- Fellowship from the Feinberg Graduate School (Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel, 2001).
- Fellowship from the Thyssen Foundation (Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel, 2002).
- Guest Professor at the Institute of Semiconductors, Chinese Academy of Sciences, September 2013