The Dynamic Legged Systems lab focuses on research that concerns the design and control aspects of agile legged robots.
We are interested in the development of legged robotic systems, chiefly quadrupeds, and we are investigating ways that can increase flexibility and performance of legged designs. Apart from developing agile quadruped robots we emphasize the need for accurate and robust control, ranging from the level of individual joints up to the overall behavior of the legged robot.
Apart from accurate hydraulic force/torque control at the joint level we are investigating ways of creating and using a variety of different locomotion gaits, that are robust to external disturbances and changing environmental conditions. A significant part of our groups' effort is devoted to perception tailored to dynamic quadrupedal robots. This becomes important as robots take their first steps outside controlled lab environments and into real-life applications.
Our flagship platform is the Hydraulic Quadruped robot HyQ. Since its construction in 2010, HyQ demonstrated a wide repertoire of motions ranging from stair climbing, chimney climbing, omnidirectional trotting over rough terrain, trotting with step reflexes, to flying trotting and jumping.
The DLS lab has state-of-the-art facilities to develop, build and test hydraulic robots and their components. We currently have several quadruped robots (two HyQs, a HyQ2Max, a MiniHyQ), two hydraulic arms and several leg prototypes. Our indoor lab space comprises hydraulic pump units, test benches, a motion capture system, a large-scale treadmill, a force plate, a high-speed camera, etc.
Our outdoor lab space consists of a 25m race track with overhead rail and various types of obstacles.
The Moog@iit joint lab is part of the DLS lab.
- EU FP7 ECHORD++ experiment HyQ-REAL (1/9/2016 – 28/2/2018) www.hyq-real.eu
- Moog@iit joint lab (2016-2018) moog.iit.it
- The HyQ quadruped robot project (2007 – ongoing) IIT-internal funding www.iit.it/hyq
- ETH Zurich – Agile & Dexterous Robotics Lab (ADRL). P.I. Jonas Buchli http://www.adrl.ethz.ch/doku.php
- Moog UK/USA main contacts Mike Baker, Gonzalo Rey, Robert Morgan http://www.moog.com
- Univ. of Edinburgh - Edinburgh Robot Perception Group. P.I. Maurice Fallon http://robotperception.inf.ed.ac.uk/
- Tampere Univ. of Technology - Automation and Hydraulic Engineering. P.I. Jouni Mattila http://www.tut.fi/en/person-id-card/index.htm?nimi=jouni.mattila
- MPI for Intelligent Systems – Movement generation and control group. P.I. Ludovic Righetti http://motiongroup.is.tuebingen.mpg.de/
- IIT – Department of Advanced Robotics (ADVR). P.I. Darwin G. Caldwell https://www.iit.it/research/lines/advanced-robotics
- IIT - Humanoids and Human Centered Mechatronics. P.I. Nikos Tsagarakis https://www.iit.it/research/lines/humanoids-human-centered-mechatronics
- IIT – Roy Featherstone http://royfeatherstone.org/