Born in Caracas, Venezuela, on 18 August 1981.
(June 2018-current) Collaborator at Italian Institute of Tecnology - IIT@Polito center. Role: Vice-coordinator of EU H2020 Project RECODE.
(Jun.2016 - current) Assistant Professor at Politecnico di Torino (DISAT), CREST group. Current Projects: EU-H2020: OCEAN, CELBICON and TERRA.
(Jan.2015 - May.2016) Postdoctoral Senior Researcher at Politecnico di Torino (DISAT), CREST group. Projects: EU-FP7: ECO2CO2 and ARTIPHYCTION.
(Jan.2010 - Dec. 2014) Postdoctoral Researcher at the Italian Institute of Technology (IIT@POLITO) on the project Nanodesigned electrochemical reactors for H2 production.
(Jan.2005 – Dec.2009)Fellow Researcher at the CRE3 (Catalytic reaction Engineering for Environment and Energy) group, DISMIC, Politecnico di Torino, Italy.
(Mar.2008 - Apr.2008) Industrial Placement at the Johnson Matthey Fuel Cells Technology Centre, Reading, UK.
(Dec. 2008) PhD in Chemical Engineering at Politecnico di Torino (Italy). Thesis title: Desulfurization Processes for Fuel Cell Systems.
(Dec. 2004) Doubled Degree in Chemical Engineering, with highest honors (Lode), at Politecnico di Torino (Turin, Italy) and at Universidad Central de Venezuela (Caracas, Venezuela).
The research activity has been performed within the ambit of European and Italian projects in the area of fuel cell integrated systems and H2 production from biofuels (such as MCWAP, HYTRAN, FlameSOFC, TOP EXPERT, EOS, BioH2Power, Solhydromics, ECO2CO2, Artiphiction). Most recent projects target the reutilization of CO2 and renewable energy sources (i.e. solar light) for the production of fuels and chemical (i.e. syngas, methanol, formic acid, PHA, etc). Know-how: Development, synthesis, characterization and testing of photo-catalysts and adsorbent materials. Photo-electrochemical characterization of electrodes for oxidation and reduction reactions. Investigation of reactions kinetics and charge transport phenomenas by using EIS analyses. Development of electrocatalysts for conversion of wastes and CO2 into high added-value products.
RECODE: "Recycling carbon dioxide in the cement industry to produce added-value additives: a step towards a CO2 circular economy", website: https://www.recodeh2020.eu/
OCEAN: "Oxalic acid from CO2 using Eletrochemistry At demonstratioN scale" website: https://www.spire2030.eu/ocean
CELBICON: "Cost-effective CO2 conversion into chemicals via combination of Capture, ELectrochemical and BIochemical CONversion technologies", website: http://www.celbicon.org/
Eco2CO2: “Eco-friendly biorefinery fine chemicals from CO2 photocatalytic reduction”, website: http://eco2co2.org/contents.aspx
· Hernandez, S., Farkhondehfal, M. A., Sastre, F., Makkee, M., Saracco, G., & Russo, N. (2017). Syngas Production from Electrochemical Reduction of CO2: Current Status and Prospective Implementation. Green Chemistry, 19, 2326 - 2346. doi: 10.1039/C7GC00398F.
· Massa, A., Hernández, S., Lamberti, A., Galletti, C., Russo, N., & Fino, D. (2017). Electro-oxidation of phenol over electrodeposited MnOx nanostructures and the role of a TiO2 nanotubes interlayer. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 203, 270-281. doi: 10.1016/j.apcatb.2016.10.025
· Tolod, K., Hernández, S., & Russo, N. (2017). Recent Advances in the BiVO4 Photocatalyst for Sun-Driven Water Oxidation: Top-Performing Photoanodes and Scale-Up Challenges. Catalysts, 7(1), 13.
· Hernandez, S., Hidalgo, D., Sacco, A., Chiodoni, A., Lamberti, A., Cauda, V., . . . Saracco, G. (2015). Comparison of photocatalytic and transport properties of TiO2 and ZnO nanostructures for solar-driven water splitting. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 17(12), 7775-7786. doi: 10.1039/C4CP05857G.
· Hernández, S., Barbero, G., Saracco, G., & Alexe-Ionescu, A. L. (2015). Considerations on Oxygen Bubble Formation and Evolution on BiVO4 Porous Anodes Used in Water Splitting Photoelectrochemical Cells. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 119(18), 9916-9925. doi: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.5b01635.
· Hernández, S., Bensaid, S., Armandi, M., Sacco, A., Chiodoni, A., Bonelli, B., . . . Saracco, G. (2014). A new method for studying activity and reaction kinetics of photocatalytic water oxidation systems using a bubbling reactor. Chemical Engineering Journal, 238, 17-26. doi: 10.1016/j.cej.2013.08.094
· Zanarini S., Vankova S. , Hernandez S., Ijeri V.S., Armandi M., Garrone E., Bonelli B., Onida B. and Spinelli P. CoAPO5 as a water oxidation catalyst and a light sensitizer. CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS, 2012, 48, pp. 5754-5756, DOI: 10.1039/C2CC17827C
· Hernández S., Blegini G.A., Russo N., Fino D.. Kinetic study of diesel soot combustion with Perovskite catalysts. INDUSTRIAL & ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY RESEARCH, (in press), DOI: dx.doi.org/10.1021/ie202155c
· Hernández S.P., Chiappero M., Russo N., Fino D.. A novel ZnO-based adsorbent for biogas purification in H2 production systems, CHEMICAL ENGINEERING JOURNAL, Elsevier, 2011, 176-177: pp. 272-279, ISSN: 1385-8947, DOI: 10.1016/j.cej.2011.06.085.
· Hernandez S.P., Scarpa F., Fino D., Conti R. Biogas purification for MCFCs application. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, 2011 36(13): 8112-8118, ISSN: 0360-3199,DOI:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2011.01.055.
· Mescia D., Hernandez S.P., Conoci A., Russo N. MSW Landfill biogas desulphurisation. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, 2011 36(13): 7884-7890, ISSN: 0360-3199, DOI:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2011.01.057.
· Hernandez S., Russo, N., Fino D. High performance sorbents for diesel oil desulphurisation. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING SCIENCE, 2010, 65(1): 603-609. DOI:10.1016/j.ces.2009.06.050.
· Hernandez Ribullen S., Solarino L., Orsello G., Russo N., Fino D., Saracco G., Specchia V. Desulfurization processes for fuel cells systems, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, 2008, 33(12): 3209-3214. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2008.01.047.
(2009) Prize of the HYSYDAYS 2009 - 3rd World Congress of Young Scientists on Hydrogen Energy Systems.