Scientific Careers at IIT
IIT recruits technical and scientific staff focusing on the quality of candidates and adopting transparent selection procedures. IIT has established a Standing Committee of External Evaluators (SCEE), a list of particularly qualified scientists at international level in the field of life science, drug discovery, robotics, smart materials and nanotechnologies, who take part in the selection and evaluation of the scientific staff. The activity of these external members is usually performed pro bono. The Search Committee is entrusted with examining all CVs and identifying a short list of excellent candidates, who will then be invited for an interview. The Evaluation Committee attends the seminars and conducts the interviews of the candidates selected by the Search Committee in order to identify the best profile.
Tenure track and tenured scientists are fully independent Principal Investigators (PIs) carrying out their research activity (see research lines) in the frame of the Strategic Plan.
Tenure track scientists are hired upon international calls. An international Search Committee is established by the Scientific Technical Committee (STC) to evaluate applications and create a short list of candidates to interview. Short listed candidates are invited for a public presentation and an interview in front of an Evaluation Committee usually consisting of a majority of external experts. Candidates may access the tenure track at junior (Stage 1) or senior level (Stage 2 with or without tenure). The maximum duration of the tenure track is 5 + 5 years (Stage 1 + Stage 2). A peer review evaluation must be passed at the end of each phase. Senior scientists can also be recruited as tenured scientists upon evaluation of the STC.
ERC Grant winners
IIT has many ERC winners within its staff. Upon approval of the STC, ERC winners are granted access to a tenure track position. Generally, ERC Starting Grant winners access a Tenure Track Stage 1 position, ERC Consolidator grant winners access a Tenure Track Stage 2 position, whereas Advanced Grant winners can be considered directly for tenured positions. The Tenure Track Package includes funding to match the ERC program.
For information or enquiries about the tenure track please contact our Tenure Track Office.
Researchers are hired by open calls (scientific journals and IIT web site), through Search and Evaluation panels consisting of both internal and external experts. Researcher positions are up to five years. Researchers report to a PI and can be in charge of a laboratory and post docs and students.
Technologists are hired by open calls (scientific journals and IIT web site), through Search and Evaluation panels consisting of both internal and external experts. Their primary mission is to develop technology-oriented research and/or coordinate laboratories and facilities of general interest for the Institute. Technologists report to a PI and can be in charge of post docs, students and technicians.
Post Docs are recruited by open calls (scientific journals and IIT web site), through Search and Evaluation panels consisting of internal experts. The maximum duration of a Post Doc appointment at IIT is 5/6 years. Post Docs are considered junior if recruited within 2 or 3 years after their PhD diploma, whereas the senior level is for those who have at least 3 years’ experience after the PhD.
The recruiting of technical and administrative staff is established on a competitive basis, through publication of advertisements on the IIT website and specialized websites for recruiting.
The advertisement defines the position to be filled, the main activities, the technical, behavioural and managerial skills requested for the role, methods and timing for the application.
The evaluation committee, composed by the specialists of the Human Resources and Organization Directorate and by the head of the Organizational Unit/Research Line, screens all the applications and select a list of candidates. The skills and the level of the experience required are evaluated by individual or group interviews and technical tests. For some professional profiles, the selection process may include a first step consisting of an Assessment Center, a methodology that help assessors identify how close candidates’ abilities and behaviours match the sought-after job profile.
The evaluation committee defines a final ranking and identifies the successful candidate following the outcome of the interviews and the tests.
What IIT offers
We Care office will help you with
- Administrative practices before your entrance - guiding you through the Visa procedure, dealing with foreign Embassies and Consulates, coordinating the procedures with Italian Immigration Authorities (Prefettura and Questura);
- Administrative practices during your stay in Italy - helping you in applying for and collecting your Permit of Stay, taking up the residence in the Townhall lists, registering in the Public Health Service;
- Work-life balance - caring about specific family-related topics as foreseen by Law, such as family parental or maternity leaves; helping you during the family reunification procedure;
- Accommodation - providing you with links to real estate agencies; offering a special agreement with the Conservatorio Fieschi Foundation, owner of nice furnished apartments situated in historical buildings in Genova.
Thanks to your suggestions in the annual Internal Satisfaction Survey, we will improve our "Care for You";
- Child-care facilities and several primary and secondary education institutes such as “The living School” or “The Montessori International School”;
- Mobility agreements with rental cars, car sharing and a convenient deal with AMT, the major public transport system in Genova;
- Bank institutes, Insurance companies and Fiscal Assistance centers;
- Italian and English language classes given in International Institutes; special conditions with certified translators in order to support you with the Italian version of foreign documentation, if needed by the Italian Law;
- Hotels (i.e. Holiday Inn and Best Western in Genova), bars and restaurants, sports facilities, theatres, museums and cultural events.
A Relocation Package is available for Principal Investigators, included Researchers in Tenure Track Path, coming from Eu and Extra-Eu countries: they are eligible for a contribution to moving expenses.
IIT supports Researchers and their families through the We Care Office.
In order to follow the family oriented policy of our Institute and to guarantee the work-life balance, a Dual Career Service has been introduced. Its activities are primarily addressed to Principal Investigators (including Tenure-Track and Tenured Researchers) and their partners.
The aim is to let the scientists and their families feel comfortable and receive the support they need, especially when moving to Italy.
- Supplying information regarding job opportunities at IIT. We apply strict merit-based recruiting procedures. However, if both partners apply within the same Research Line/Organizational Unit, IIT will evaluate the proper way to manage the potential conflict of interest.
- Identifying job opportunities appropriate to experience and career stage. IIT offers advice on application strategies through one of the major agencies specialized in recruitment and selection: INTOO, a GI Group Company. Since IIT cannot guarantee employment, it does seek to provide a partner with the tools and services to access resources for an effective job search. We provide assistance in scouting job opportunities all over Italy following professional goals and any valuable resources that might help the partner to find an appropriate employment. Clearly, during the assesments, the applicant have to persuade potential employers of their professional skills.
INTOO will support the researchers’partners through one of the following programs:
- 4job MANAGEMENT (the program has 4 phases: skills assessment, choice, action, in&too)
- 4job MIDDLE (the program has 4 phases: skills assessment, goals, action, in&too)
- 4job QUADRI PROFESSIONAL (the program has 4 phases: skills assessment, professional project, implementation and realization, in&too)
- 4job PROFESSIONAL (the program has 4 phases: job profile description, professional project, implementation and realization, insertion in the new job and placement tracking)
IIT offers its staff an optional private health care insurance plan (taxes according to Italian legislation). If required and based on specific conditions the benefit can also be extended so as to also include the staff’s family members.
HRO promotes work/life balance for the IIT community. Scientists are allowed to work freely arranging their own schedules, whilst administrative/technical employees can benefit from flexible working hours (clock in between 8 and 10am – clock out between 5 and 7pm) and request teleworking. We offer a wide range of discounted rates for extra work activities (gym clubs, theaters, museums, restaurants, travel).
IIT provides its staff with opportunities for professional development thanks to responsive, integrated, collaborative and flexible programs and services. We tailor ad-hoc courses to improve or reinforce our personnel’s skills and competencies. To enhance integration in the IIT community and encourage personal development, we also promote language courses (English and Italian) as well as workshops focused, for instance, on leadership, and time management.
IIT ensures equitable and competitive salary in line with the standards adopted by other international research institutes.
We encourage foreigners and Italians, both from abroad or Italy, to apply: please note that the Tremonti Law has created the opportunity for Italian and foreign researchers who start their research activity in Italy, thus becoming fiscally resident in Italy, to take advantage of considerable tax benefits. These benefits allow scientists to pay their income taxes only on 10% of their income for a period of 4 consecutive fiscal years.
If your professional profile is in line with one of our positions, you can send in your application following our job post guidelines. Given the profile we are looking for, different application documents are required. Don't forget to provide the reference letters or publications list (whether requested) at the given deadline. All applications are duly evaluated. At the job post deadline, CVs will be screened and eligible candidates contacted to proceed with the recruiting and selection procedures. IIT values diversity and fosters equal opportunities.
All qualified applicants to a position will be duly considered and will not be discriminated on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or disability.
We adopt the “stop-the-clock policy” in case of maternity leave for female collaborators. In such case the suspension, to protect the mother and the unborn child, will last for the whole period of the maternity leave, even if it goes beyond the law provision. IIT strikes special agreements with nurseries, kindergartens and schools for its staff’s families.
IIT staff is always welcome at the HR Front Desk from Monday to Friday during the reception hours from 10.00 a.m. to 1.00 pm and from 2.00 p.m. to 5.00 p.m., by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 0039 010.717 81 808.