The Soft Robotics for Human Cooperation and Rehabilitation Research Line at Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT, Genoa, Italy) is looking for an outstanding, highly motivated Researcher to work in the field of advanced soft robotics principles, technologies and their mechatronics development for application in both collaborative and assistive robotic scenarios.
The SoftRob Lab is known for its cutting-edge research in the area of humanoid and rehabilitation robots, with focus on soft robotics actuation, upper limb devices and haptic systems.
Softhand and SoftHand Pro, two of the most recent high performance and innovative robotic and prosthetic hands, are among the devices developed in the lab together with the high performance and dexterous humanoid robot Walk-Man (developed in collaboration with the “Humanoids and Human Centered Mechatronics” IIT research line). The SoftRob Lab is a dynamic environment where the most advanced understandings of natural motor control and the most innovative technologies of robotics proceed in symbiosis, together with a keen interest in technology transfer and the adoption of the EU Open Source/Open Data strategies. The lab counts on outstanding equipment and facilities together with strategic collaborations . Moreover the lab is active in many research projects such as SoftPro (EU H2020 project), SoftHand (ERC project), SoftHand Pro-H (ERC POC) among many others.
The candidates must be capable to collaborate with a large team and to cooperate in the coordination of work-packages and projects, especially concerning work on robotic and prosthetic hands, but more generally in all mechatronics-related research topics.
The selected candidate will research into innovative methods/frameworks to develop and study soft robotics mechatronic solutions to generate new devices in order to enhance the performance of modern collaborative humanoids robots together with novel assistive and rehabilitation platforms. Such technological and theoretical results will address new studies, platforms and experiments for the improvement of the real application and usability of generated mechatronics devices.
Desired qualifications include:
- PhD Degree and relevant postdoctoral experience, as well as an excellent record of accomplishments (publications, etc.) in engineering or related fields with a specialization in robotics systems.
- Strong and highly visible research profile in one or more of the following research areas: Humanoid Robotics, Robots Actuation, Artificial hands and upper limbs design in both robotic and prosthetic fields
- Long-standing experience in Mechatronics Design, with particular focus on mechanical and robotic design
- Strong Experience in robotics and mechanical development of new prototypes and small series, with strong knowledge of production technologies and their selection
- Interest (and preferably experience) in technology transfer activities and exploitation of research results
- Strong knowledge of design tools: CAD design (PTC CREO or equivalent), CAM design (MasterCAM or equivalent), FEM design (Ansys or equivalent) and CNC languages.
- Strong knowledge of actuation and sensing technologies
- Good knowledge of control techniques and control tools, with particular focus on their applications in robotics systems
- Creativity and proactive attitude.
- Fluency in English both spoken and written
The salary will depend on qualifications and experience and will include health benefits.
For questions please contact Prof. Antonio Bicchi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please submit your applications, including a detailed curriculum vitae, 3 representative publications and 2 pages of research statement in PDF format to email@example.com quoting “Researcher position in Soft Robotics Technologies for Collaborative and Assistive Robots CB 73092” in the subject line.
Candidates must also request 3 reference letters to be sent directly in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Application deadline: March 15th, 2017
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, with its headquarters in Genova, Italy, is a non-profit institution with the primary goal of creating and disseminating scientific knowledge and strengthening Italy’s technological competitiveness. The institute offers state-of-the-art equipment and a top-level interdisciplinary research environment focused on robotics and computer vision, neuroscience, drug discovery, nanoscience and technology.
In order to comply with Italian law (art. 23 of Privacy Law of the Italian Legislative Decree n. 196/03), the candidate is kindly asked to give his/her consent to allow IIT to process his/her personal data.
We inform you that the information you provide will be solely used for the purpose of assessing your professional profile to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia.
Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, with its headquarters in Genoa, Via Morego 30, acting as the Data Holder, using computer and paper-based means, observing the rules on the protection of personal data, including those relating to the security of data.
Please also note that, pursuant to art. 7 of Legislative Decree 196/2003, you may exercise your rights at any time as a party concerned by contacting the Data Manager.
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks diversity in the workforce.