B. Sc., Chemical Engineering, METU, 1995.
P. Dipl., Fluid Mechanics, von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, 1996.
M.Sc., Chemical Engineering, METU, 1998.
PhD., Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2006.
Current Research Interests
- Polymer Nanocomposites
- Surface Science
- Super-wetting and super-repellent surfaces
- Biopolymer Processing
- Smart Materials
- Emulsion Science and Technology
Dr. Bayer's research is mainly applied in nature. The major activity is centered around fabrication and characterization of functional polymer nanocomposites. The Smart Materials Platform@IIT has a number of research activities on fabrication and characterization of electrically and magnetically functional polymer nanocomposites, preparation and characterization of biomaterial nanocomposites for antimicrobial applications and drug delivery, processing of novel cellulosic materials, new generation polymer blends and surface modification and functionalization. Dr. Bayer participates in these research activities by supervising or helping supervise a number of graduate students and post doctoral colleagues.
Smart Materials Platform@IIT has also a number of industrial projects with international companies through contracts or joint lab agreements. Additional research activities generally emerge as a result of extensive collaborations with such companies. Moreover, Dr. Bayer has ongoing collaborations with the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the University of Illinois at Chicago and with the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at the University of Virginia.
Further Information on these collaborative efforts can be obtained from:
Links to some movies on Superhydrophobicity:
1. Highly Durable Superhydrophobic Coatings:
2. Superhydrophobic Paint:
3. Self-Cleaning Superhydrophobic Flexible Coating:
4. Water Jet Resistant Flexible Superhydrophobic Carbon-based Material:
I. S. Bayer, “Smart polymer nanocomposite water and oil repellent coatings for aluminum”, Handbook of Smart Coatings for Materials Protection (Ed.) A. S. H. Makhlouf, Elsevier, 2014.
A. Athanassiou, D. Fragouli, I. Bayer, P. Netti, L. Rizzello, and P. P. Pompa, “Soft Matter Composites Interfacing with Biomolecules, Cells, and Tissues” Bioinspired Approaches for Human-Centric Technologies (Ed.) R. Cingolani, Springer, 2014.
I. S. Bayer, L. Martiradonna, A. Athanassiou, “Nanostructured Lubricated Silver Flake/Polymer Composites Exhibiting Robust Superhydrophobicity” Advances in Contact Angle, Wettability and Adhesion Vol.1, (Ed.) K.L. Mittal, Wiley, 2013.
A. Milionis, D. Fragouli, I.S. Bayer and A. Athanassiou. "Water adhesion to laser-treated surfaces", Laser Surface Modification and Adhesion, (Ed.) K.L. Mittal and T. Bahners, Wiley, in press, 2014.
A. Milionis, R. Ruffilli, I.S. Bayer, L. Dominici, D. Fragouli and A. Athanassiou. "Local wetting modification on carnauba wax-coated hierarchical surfaces by infrared laser treatment", Advances in Contact Angle, Wettability and Adhesion Vol. 1, (Ed.) K.L. Mittal, Wiley, 2013
A. Milionis, I.S. Bayer, D. Fragouli, F. Brandi and A. Athanassiou. “Combination of lithography and coating methods for surface wetting control”, Updates in Advanced Lithography, (Ed.) S. Hosaka, InTech, 2013
A. Athanassiou, D. Fragouli, F. Villafiorita-Monteleone, A. Milionis, F. Spano, I. S. Bayer and R. Cingolani. "Laser-based lithography for polymeric nanocomposite structures", Recent Advances in Nanofabrication Techniques and Applications, (Ed.) B. Cui, InTech, 2011
- I. S. Bayer, S. Guzman-Puyol, J. Heredia-Guerrero, L. Ceseracciu, F. Pignatelli, R. Ruffilli, R. Cingolani and A. Athanassiou, "Direct transformation of edible vegetable waste into bio-plastics", Macromolecules, vol. 47, pp. 5135-5143,2014.
- A. Milionis, R. Ruffilli and I. S. Bayer, “Superhydrophobic Nanocomposites from Biodegradable Thermoplastic Starch Composites (Mater-Bi®), Hydrophobic Nano-Silica and Lycopodium Spores” RSC Advances, vol.4, pp. 34395-34404, 2014.
- J. A. Heredia-Guerrero, J.J. Benítez Jose, E. Domínguez, I. S. Bayer, R. Cingolani, A. Athanassiou and A. Heredia "Infrared and Raman Spectroscopic Features of Plant Cutlices: A Review", Frontiers in Plant Science, vol. 5, pp.1-13, 2014.
- A. Davis, Y. H. Yeong, A. Steele, I. S. Bayer and E. Loth, “Superhydrophobic Nanocomposite Surface Topography and Ice Adhesion” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, vol. 6, pp 9272–9279, 2014.
- E. Mele, I. S. Bayer, G. Nanni, J. A. Heredia-Guerrero, R. Ruffilli, F. Ayadi, L. Marini, R. Cingolani, A. Athanassiou, "Biomimetic Approach for Liquid Encapsulation with Nanofibrillar Cloaks", Langmuir, vol 30, p 2896–2902, 2014.
- A. Steele, I. S. Bayer, E. Loth, "Pipe Flow Drag Reduction Effects from Carbon Nanotube Additives", Carbon, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2014.05.016, 2014.
- A. Davis, Y. H. Yeong, A. Steele, E. Loth, I. S. Bayer, "Spray impact resistance of a superhydrophobic nanocomposite coating", AICHE Journal, DOI: 10.1002/aic.14457, 2014.
- Y. H. Yeong, A. Davis, A. Steele, E. Loth, I.S. Bayer, "Spray deposition effects on superhydrophobicity and durability of nanocoatings", Surface Innovations DOI: 10.1680/si.13.00044, 2014.
- Z. A. Nima, A. Biswas, I. S. Bayer, F. D. Hardcastle, D. Perry, A. Ghosh, E. Dervishi, A. S. Biris, "Applications of surface-enhanced Raman scattering in advanced bio-medical technologies and diagnostics", Drug Metabolism Reviews, DOI:10.3109/03602532.2013.873451, 2014.
- T. M. Schutzius, I. S. Bayer, J. Qin, D. Waldroup and C. M. Megaridis, " Water-based, nonfluorinated dispersions for environmentally benign, large-area, superhydrophobic coatings", ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, vol. 5, pp 13419–13425, 2014.
- J. E. Mates, T. M. Schutzius, I. S. Bayer, J. Qin, D. E. Waldroup , and C. M. Megaridis, "Water-Based Superhydrophobic Coatings for Nonwoven and Cellulosic Substrates", Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 53, pp 222–227, 2014.
- I. S. Bayer, A. J. Davis and A. Biswas, "Robust superhydrophobic surfaces from small diffusion flame treatment of hydrophobic polymers", RSC Advances, vol. 4, pp. 264-268, 2014.
- I. Liakos, L. Rizzello, D. J. Scurr, P.P. Pompa, I.S. Bayer and A. Athanassiou, "All natural wound dressing films of essential oils encapsulated in sodium alginate with antimicrobial properties", International Journal of Pharmaceutics , DOI: http://dx.doi.org/doi:10.1016/j.ijpharm.2013.10.046, 2013.
- I. S. Bayer, A. Ghosh, M. Labriola, A. S. Biris, E. Dervishi, F. Watanabe, T. Wang, C. Slaboch, T. C. Ovaert and A. Biswas, " Fabrication of bionanocomposites comprising flat nanocrystals of calcium in collagen fibers exhibiting hardness comparable to metal", RSC Advances, vol. 3, pp. 20315-203323, 2013.
- A. Milionis, R. Giannuzzi, I. S. Bayer, E. L. Papadopoulou, R. Ruffilli, M. Manca and A. Athanassiou, "Self-cleaning Organic/Inorganic photo-sensors", ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, vol. 5(15), pp. 7139-7145, 2013.
- A. Attanasio, I. S. Bayer, R. Ruffilli, F. Ayadi and A. Athanassiou, "Surprising High Hydrophobicity of Polymer Networks from Hydrophilic Components", ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, vol. 5, pp. 5717-5726, 2013.
- J. Cheek, A. Steele, I. S. Bayer and E. Loth, “Underwater saturation resistance and electrolytic functionality for superhydrophobic nanocomposites”, Colloid & Polymer Science, vol. 291, pp. 2013-2016, 2013.
- F. Ayadi, I. S. Bayer, D. Fragouli, I. Liakos, R. Cingolani , A. Athanassiou, “Mechanical reinforcement and water repellency induced to cellulose sheets by a polymer treatment”, Cellulose, vol. 20, pp. 1501-1509, 2013.
- I. S. Bayer, A. Steele and Eric Loth, "Superhydrophobic and Electroconductive Carbon Nanotube-Fluorinated Acrylic Copolymer Nanocomposites from Emulsions", Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 221, pp. 522-530, 2013.
- Tailoring the morphology of poly(ethylene oxide)/silver triflate blends: from crystalline to self assembled nanofibrillar structures",
- T. G. Scott, G. Blackburn, M.Ashley, I. S. Bayer, A.Ghosh, A.S. Biris, and A. Biswas, "Advances in Bionanomaterials for Bone Tissue Engineering", Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 13, pp. 1-22, 2013.
- G. Blackburn, T. G. Scott, I. S. Bayer, A. Ghosh, A. S. Biris and A. Biswas "Bionanomaterials for bone tumor engineering and tumor destruction", Journal of Materials Chemistry B, vol. 1, pp. 1519-1534, 2013.
- I. Liakos, L. Rizzello, I. S. Bayer, P.P. Pompa, R. Cingolani and A. Athanassiou "Controlled Antiseptic Release by Alginate Polymer Films and Beads" Carbohydrate Polymers vol. 92, pp. 176-183, 2013.
- M. Ashley, P. Ramidi, C. Magiera, A. Ghosh, T. Bontrager, T. G. Scott, G. Blackburn, E. Dervishi, A. S. Biris, T. Wang, I. S. Bayer and A. Biswas "Solution processable polymer based nanocomposite coatings for large-area carbon capture and conversion", Greenhouse Gases: Science and Technology, Vol. 2, pp. 386394, 2012.
- A. Milionis, L. Martiradonna, G. C. Anyfantis, P. D. Cozzoli, I. S. Bayer, D.Fragouli and A. Athanassiou "Control of the water adhesion on hydrophobic micropillars by spray coating technique" Colloid & Polymer Science, vol. 291, pp. 401-407, 2013.
- , , , and Superhydrophobic-Superhydrophilic Binary Micropatterns by Localized Thermal Treatment of Polyhedral Oligomeric Silsesquioxane (POSS)-Silica Films", Nanoscale, vol. 4, pp. 5378-5385, 2012.
- I. S. Bayer, F. Brandi, R. Cingolani, A. Athanassiou " Modification of wetting properties of laser-textured surfaces by depositing triboelectrically charged Teflon particles", Colloid & Polymer Science, vol. 291, pp. 367-373, 2013.
- K. J. Schreader, I. S. Bayer, D. J. Milner, E. Loth and I. Jasiuk, "A polyurethane-based nanocomposite biocompatible bone adhesive", Journal of Applied Polymer Science vol. 127, pp. 4974-4982, 2013.
- P. Calcagnile, D. Fragouli, I. S.Bayer, G. C. Anyfantis, L. Martiradonna, P. D. Cozzoli, R.Cingolani, and A.Athanassiou, "Magnetically Driven Floating Foams for the Removal of Oil Contaminants from Water", ACS Nano, vol. 6 , pp 54135419, 2012.
- I. S. Bayer, V. Caramia, A. Biswas, R. Cingolani and A.Athanassiou, "Metal-like conductivity exhibited by triboelectrically deposited polyaniline (emeraldine base) particles on microtextured SiC surfaces", Applied Physics Letters, vol. 100, pp. 201604-201609, 2012.
- Y. H. Yeong, A. Steele, E. Loth, I. Bayer, G. De Combarieu, and C. Lakeman, "Temperature and humidity effects on superhydrophobicity of nanocomposite coatings," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 100, pp. 053112-053115, 2012.
- A. Steele, I. Bayer, and E. Loth, "Adhesion strength and superhydrophobicity of polyurethane/organoclay nanocomposite coatings," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 125, pp. E445-E452, 2012.
- D. Fragouli, I. S. Bayer, R. Di Corato, R. Brescia, G. Bertoni, C. Innocenti, D. Gatteschi, T. Pellegrino, R. Cingolani, and A. Athanassiou, "Superparamagnetic cellulose fiber networks via nanocomposite functionalization," Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, pp. 1662-1666, 2012.
- A. Das, T. M. Schutzius, I. S. Bayer, and C. M. Megaridis, "Superoleophobic and conductive carbon nanofiber/fluoropolymer composite films," Carbon, vol. 50, pp. 1346-1354, 2012.
- A. Biswas, I. S. Bayer, A. S. Biris, T. Wang, E. Dervishi, and F. Faupel, "Advances in top-down and bottom-up surface nanofabrication: Techniques, applications & future prospects," Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 170, pp. 2-27, 2012.
- I. S. Bayer, V. Caramia, D. Fragouli, F. Spano, R. Cingolani, and A. Athanassiou, "Electrically conductive and high temperature resistant superhydrophobic composite films from colloidal graphite," Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, pp. 2057-2062, 2012.
- T. M. Schutzius, M. K. Tiwari, I. S. Bayer, and C. M. Megaridis, "High strain sustaining, nitrile rubber based, large-area, superhydrophobic, nanostructured composite coatings," Composites Part A-Applied Science and Manufacturing, vol. 42, pp. 979-985, 2011.
- T. M. Schutzius, I. S. Bayer, M. K. Tiwari, and C. M. Megaridis, "Novel Fluoropolymer Blends for the Fabrication of Sprayable Multifunctional Superhydrophobic Nanostructured Composites," Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 50, pp. 11117-11123, 2011.
- A. Das, H. T. Hayvaci, M. K. Tiwari, I. S. Bayer, D. Erricolo, and C. M. Megaridis, "Superhydrophobic and conductive carbon nanofiber/PTFE composite coatings for EMI shielding," Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 353, pp. 311-315, 2011.
- A. Biswas, T. Tokoly, T. Wang, P. Ramidi, A. Ghosh, E. Dervishi, F. Watanabe, A. S. Biris, I. S. Bayer, and M. G. Norton, "Design and synthesis of sprayable nanocomposite coatings for carbon capture and direct conversion into environmentally safe stable carbonates," Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 508, pp. 276-280, 2011.
- A. Biswas, T. C. Ovaert, C. Slaboch, H. Zhao, I. S. Bayer, A. S. Biris, and T. Wang, "Mineral concentration dependent modulation of mechanical properties of bone-inspired bionanocomposite scaffold," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 99, pp. 013702-013705, 2011.
- I. S. Bayer, D. Fragouli, P. J. Martorana, L. Martiradonna, R. Cingolani, and A. Athanassiou, "Solvent resistant superhydrophobic films from self-emulsifying carnauba wax-alcohol emulsions," Soft Matter, vol. 7, pp. 7939-7943, 2011.
- I. S. Bayer, D. Fragouli, A. Attanasio, B. Sorce, G. Bertoni, R. Brescia, R. Di Corato, T. Pellegrino, M. Kalyva, S. Sabella, P. P. Pompa, R. Cingolani, and A. Athanassiou, "Water-Repellent Cellulose Fiber Networks with Multifunctional Properties," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 3, pp. 4024-4031, 201.
- I. S. Bayer, A. Biswas, and G. Ellialtioglu, "Fabrication of Super Water Repellent Silver Flake/Copolymer Blend Films and Their Potential as Smart Fabrics," Polymer Composites, vol. 32, pp. 576-585, 2011.
- M. K. Tiwari, I. S. Bayer, G. M. Jursich, T. M. Schutzius, and C. M. Megaridis, "Highly Liquid-Repellent, Large-Area, Nanostructured Poly(vinylidene fluoride)/Poly(ethyl 2-cyanoacrylate) Composite Coatings: Particle Filler Effects," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 2, pp. 1114-1119, 2010..
- A. Steele, I. Bayer, S. Moran, A. Cannon, W. P. King, and E. Loth, "Conformal ZnO nanocomposite coatings on micro-patterned surfaces for superhydrophobicity," Thin Solid Films, vol. 518, pp. 5426-5431, 2010.
- P. Martorana, I. S. Bayer, A. Steele, and E. Loth, "Effect of Graphite and Carbon Nanofiber Additives on the Performance Efficiency of a Gear Pump Driven Hydraulic Circuit Using Ethanol," Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 49, pp. 11363-11368, 2010.
- A. Biswas, I. S. Bayer, H. Zhao, T. Wang, F. Watanabe, and A. S. Biris, "Design and Synthesis of Biomimetic Multicomponent All-Bone-Minerals Bionanocomposites," Biomacromolecules, vol. 11, pp. 2545-2549, 2010.
- I. S. Bayer, A. Steele, P. J. Martorana, and E. Loth, "Fabrication oo superhydrophobic polyurethane/organoclay nano-structured composites from cyclomethicone-in-water emulsions," Applied Surface Science, vol. 257, pp. 823-826, 2010.
- M. K. Tiwari, I. S. Bayer, G. M. Jursich, T. M. Schutzius, and C. M. Megaridis, "Poly(vinylidene fluoride) and Poly(ethyl 2-cyanoacrylate) Blends through Controlled Polymerization of Ethyl 2-Cyanoacrylates," Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, vol. 294, pp. 775-780, 2009.
- A. Steele, I. Bayer, and E. Loth, "Inherently Superoleophobic Nanocomposite Coatings by Spray Atomization," Nano Letters, vol. 9, pp. 501-505, 2009.
- A. Biswas, I. S. Bayer, A. Tripathi, E. H. Lock, S. G. Walton, M. G. Norton, D. K. Avasthi, D. H. Dahanayaka, L. A. Bumm, E. Suhir, A. R. Chowdhury, and R. Gupta, "Fabrication of Nanodielectric BaTiO3 Composites Exhibiting Stable Capacitor Functions in the High Frequency (> 100 MHz) Through Interfacial Polarization Interactions," Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Letters, vol. 1, pp. 111-118, 2009.
- A. Biswas, I. S. Bayer, D. H. Dahanayaka, L. A. Bumm, Z. Li, F. Watanabe, R. Sharma, Y. Xu, A. S. Biris, M. G. Norton, and E. Suhir, "Tailored polymer-metal fractal nanocomposites: an approach to highly active surface enhanced Raman scattering substrates," Nanotechnology, vol. 20, pp. 325705-325712, 2009.
- I. S. Bayer, A. Steele, P. J. Martorana, E. Loth, and L. Miller, "Superhydrophobic cellulose-based bionanocomposite films from Pickering emulsions," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 94, pp. 163902-163905, 2009.
- I. S. Bayer, A. Steele, P. Martorana, E. Loth, S. J. Robinson, and D. Stevenson, "Biolubricant induced phase inversion and superhydrophobicity in rubber-toughened biopolymer/organoclay nanocomposites," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 95, pp. 06370-06373, 2009.
- I. S. Bayer, A. Brown, A. Steele, and E. Loth, "Transforming Anaerobic Adhesives into Highly Durable and Abrasion Resistant Superhydrophobic Organoclay Nanocomposite Films: A New Hybrid Spray Adhesive for Tough Superhydrophobicity," Applied Physics Express, vol. 2, pp. 125003-125006, 2009.
- I. S. Bayer, A. Biswas, A. Tripathi, D. K. Avasthi, J. P. Singh, and C. M. Megaridis, "Composite thin films of poly(phenylene oxide)/poly(styrene) and PPO/silver via vapor phase deposition," Polymers for Advanced Technologies, vol. 20, pp. 775-784, 2009.
- I. S. Bayer, M. K. Tiwari, and C. M. Megaridis, "Biocompatible poly(vinylidene fluoride)/cyanoacrylate composite coatings with tunable hydrophobicity and bonding strength," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 93, pp. 173902-173902, 2008.
- I. S. Bayer, A. Biswas, J. B. Szczech, E. Suhir, and M. G. Norton, "Radio frequency functional capacitors made of all-organic composites of thiourea in field-responsive polymers," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 92, pp. 212902-212905, 2008.
- Y. K. Mishra, D. K. Avasthi, P. K. Kulriya, F. Singh, D. Kabiraj, A. Tripathi, J. C. Pivin, I. S. Bayer, and A. Biswas, "Controlled growth of gold nanoparticles induced by ion irradiation: An in situ x-ray diffraction study," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 90, pp. 073110-073113, 2007.
- A. Biswas, I. S. Bayer, B. Marken, T. D. Pounds, and M. G. Norton, "Networks of ultra-fine Ag nanocrystals in a Teflon AF (R) matrix by vapour phase e-beam-assisted deposition," Nanotechnology, vol. 18, pp. 305602-305608, 2007.
- A. Biswas, I. S. Bayer, P. C. Karulkar, A. Tripathi, D. K. Avasthi, M. G. Norton, and J. B. Szczech, "Nanostructured barium titanate composites for embedded radio frequency applications," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 91, pp. 212902-212905, 2007.
- A. Biswas, I. S. Bayer, P. C. Karulkar, A. Tripathi, and D. K. Avasthi, "Vapor-phase deposition of regioregular and oriented poly(3-hexylthiophene) structures and novel nanostructured composites of interpenetrating poly(3-hexylthiophene) and polyaniline exhibiting full-color wavelength (400-1000 nm) photoluminescence," Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 102, pp. 083543-083550, 2007.
- I. S. Bayer, C. M. Megaridis, J. Zhang, D. Gamota, and A. Biswas, "Analysis and surface energy estimation of various model polymeric surfaces using contact angle hysteresis," Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, vol. 21, pp. 1439-1467, 2007.
- I. S. Bayer and C. M. Megaridis, "Contact angle dynamics in droplets impacting on flat surfaces with different wetting characteristics," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 558, pp. 415-449, 2006.
- C. M. Megaridis, K. Boomsma and I. S. Bayer, "Partial rebound of molten-mtel droplets impacting on solid substrates", AICHE Journal,Vol. 50, pp. 1356-1363, 2004.
- I. S. Bayer, I. Eroglu and L. Turker, "Photogalvanic effect in aqueous Methylene blue nickel mesh systems: Conversion of light into electricity", International Journal of Energy Reserach, Vol. 25, pp. 207-222, 2001.
- L. Turker and I. Bayer, "Cyclacene tubes having silaannulenic peripheries - AM1 treatment", Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, vol. 61, pp.1041-1045, 2000.
- I. Bayer, I. Eroglu and L. Turker, "Experimental insight into the performance characteristics of Ni-mesh semiconductor photo-electrochemical cells", Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Vol. 62, pp. 43-49, 2000.