|Fig. 1 The full body COMAN Humanoid|
The COMAN humanoid robot, Fig.1, is being developed within the AMARSI European project which aims to achieve a qualitative jump toward rich motor behaviour in robotic systems, rigorously following a systematic approach in which novel mechanical systems with passive compliance, control and learning solutions will be integrated.
- Nikos Tsagarakis
- Zhibin Li
- Luca Colasanto
- Enrico Mingo
- Chengxu Zhou
- Juan Alejandro Castaño
- Houman Dallali
- Gustavo Medrano Cerda
The development of COMAN body exploits the use of actuation systems with passive compliance.
The goal is:
- to reduce the distinction between plant and controller that is typical in traditional control engineering to fully exploit complex body properties.
- to simplify perception, control and learning and to explore how compliance can be exploited for safer human robot interaction, reduced energy consumption, simplified control, and faster and more aggressive learning.
CoMan Dynamic Models and simulation files
These files contain the dynamic and kinematic paramters of the robot, linearized mass-inertia, coriolis, gravity matrices about the upright (zero angles) posture. Separate symbolic functions exist for direct dynamics, inverse dynamics, cartesian sensors, and adding external forces. Moreover, all the documentation regarding the conventions, converting the CAD data to Robotran convention and actuator models are provided with the models.
Access to the full dynamic model files can be requested by filling in this form
A basic version of the floating base model can be downloaded here.
This model includes 6 DoF for each leg, 3 DoF for waist and torso, and 4 DoF for each shoulder and arm. The dynamics of the series elastic actuators and also ground reaction forces are modeled. In order to run this simulator, the user should have Matlab and Robotran multibody software installed. Further documentation about the simulator is available inside the workR folder.
- Z. Li, N.G. Tsagarakis, and D.G. Caldwell, “Walking pattern generation for a humanoid robot with compliant joints,” Autonomous Robots, 2013.
- Z. Li, N.G. Tsagarakis, and D.G. Caldwell, “A Passivity Based Admittance Control for Stabilizing the Compliant Humanoid COMAN,” IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids2012), Osaka, Japan (Award for Best Paper Nomination Finalist).
- Z. Li, N.G. Tsagarakis, D.G. Caldwell, “Walking Trajectory Generation for Humanoid Robots with Compliant Joints:Experimentation with COMAN Humanoid", IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), May,2012, USA.
- Z. Li, Bram Vanderborght, N.G. Tsagarakis, L. Colasanto, D.G. Caldwell, “Stabilization for the Compliant Humanoid Robot COMAN Exploiting Intrinsic and Controlled Compliance", IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), May, 2012, USA.
- N.G. Tsagarakis, S. Morfey, G. A. Medrano-Cerda, Z. Li and D.G. Caldwell "COMAN a Compliant Humanoid: Optimal Joint Stiffness Tuning for Modal Frequency Control", IEEE ICRA 2013
- L. Colasanto, N.G. Tsagarakis, D.G. Caldwell, “A Compact Model for the Compliant Humanoid Robot COMAN”, IEEE BIOROB 2012
- F.L. Moro, N.G. Tsagarakis, D.G. Caldwell, "Efficient Human-Like Walking for the COmpliant huMANoid COMAN based on Kinematic Motion Primitives (kMPs)", IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA (2012)
- F.L. Moro, N.G. Tsagarakis, D.G. Caldwell, "A Human-like Walking for the Compliant Humanoid COMAN based on CoM Trajectory Reconstruction from Kinematic Motion Primitives", IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids), Bled, Slovenia (2011)
- B. Ugurlu, J.A. Saglia, N.G. Tsagarakis, D.G. Caldwell, Hopping at the Resonance Frequency: A Trajectory Generation Technique for Bipedal Robots with Elastic Joints, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Saint Paul, Minnesota US, 14-18 May, 2012.
- M. Mosadeghzad, G. A. Medrano-Cerda, J.A. Saglia,N.G. Tsagarakis, D.G. Caldwell, Comparison of Various Active Impedance Control Approaches, Modeling, Implementation, Passivity, Stability and Trade-offs, IEEE International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, July 11-14, 2012, KaoHsiung, Taiwan.
- P. Kormushev, B. Ugurlu, S. Calinon, N.G. Tsagarakis, D.G. Caldwell, "Bipedal Walking Energy Minimization by Reinforcement Learning with Evolving Policy Parameterization", 2011 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp318-324, (IROS 2011)
- N.G. Tsagarakis, Z. Li, J.A. Saglia, D.G. Caldwell, "The Design of the Lower Body of the Compliant Humanoid Robot 'cCub'", IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation Conference, pp2035 - 2040 , (ICRA 2011).
- Z. Li, B. Vanderborght,N.G. Tsagarakis, D.G. Caldwell, "Fast Bipedal Walk Using Large Strides by Modulating Hip Posture and Toe-heel Motion" , IEEE ROBIO 2010.
- N.G. Tsagarakis, B. Vanderborght, M. Laffranchi and D.G. Caldwell, "The Mechanical Design of the New Lower Body for the Child Humanoid robot 'iCub'", IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp4962-4968, IROS 2009.
- N.G. Tsagarakis, M. Laffranchi, Bram Vanderborght, D.G. Caldwell, "A Compact Soft Actuator Unit for Small Scale Human Friendly Robots", IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation Conference, (ICRA 2009), Kobe Japan, pp4356-4362.