- It expresses opinions on the quality, as well as the scientific and possibly technological and industrial significance of the research programmes and other initiatives;
- It expresses opinions on the allocations of funds, assessing the adequacy of funding requests and analysing if the proposals are consistent with the overall Foundation strategy;
- It monitors the projects progress and quality;
- It expresses opinions on other issues if any.
More specifically, STC:
Monitors and evaluates the research activities carried out both in Morego Central Research Lab (CRL) (under the responsibility of their respective Department Directors) and at the Multidisciplinary nework
- The evaluation includes possible recognition of the milestones and deliverables attained by respective partners;
- periodically updates the IIT scientific programme and checks its overall validity, including activities of technological transfer and industrial research and development;
- advises on the general scientific strategy (identification of new research lines and potential new Departments or network Research Units, selection of new Directors, implementation of new laboratories and facilities).
STC is composed by no more than 20 members, external to the Foundation, chosen among international scientists and industry representatives, with relevant experience and acknowledged authority.
The current committee members are:
- G. Margaritondo (Chairman of the STC), EPFL, Switzerland
- L. Addadi, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- A. Aguzzi, University Hospital of Zurich, Switzerland
- Y. Arakawa, University of Tokyo, Japan
- U. Banin, Hebrew University, Israel
- E. Bizzi, MIT, USA
- M. Chalfie, Columbia University, USA
- K. Doya, Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology, Japan
- T. Kanade, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
- O. Khatib, Stanford University, USA
- A. V. Nurmikko, Brown University, USA
- J.J. Slotine, MIT, USA
- A. Zunger, University of Colorado, USA