The Foundation Administrative and Management Offices unite the functions regarding the Institute's administrative needs, acting to ensure the smooth management of a large and multi-faceted organization, with particular attention for issues involving relations with the scientific community.
The following entities report to the Scientific Director:The Research Organization Office is responsible for relations with other scientific institutions, for agreements and conventions, for the coordination of the relations with the different departments and facilities as well as with the Institute's external network. It’s responsible for the scientific communication and edits the informative material about the scientific activity. It manages and analyses the bibliometric data and scientific performances of IIT scientists. ROO assists the CTS in its evaluation tasks. It also supports training activities, courses and theses and monitors ongoing scientific research.
The Research Organization Office also includes:
- The Digital Unit implements the graphics of the informative material of the Foundation; it develops the software necessary for the collection and processing of the scientific data and is in charge of the Institute's website and Intranet;
- The Project Office, which handles the administrative management and budgeting of projects funded by the European Union and other sources of financing.
The Technology Transfer Direction, as its name suggests, coordinates the strategies and processes of the Foundation's technology transfer activities; is responsible for optimizing the exploitation of the Foundation's intellectual property and for fund raising; it supports the development of a national and international network of companies and investors interested in licensing IIT intellectual property and assists research units and IIT Centers in obtaining patents. It consists of:
- The Patent Office: evaluation of patentability of inventions, patent applications, management of the patent portfolio and patent reporting;
- The Intellectual Property Licensing & Industrial Liaisons: mapping internally developed technologies, negotiating collaborative contracts with industry, centralizing and evaluating spin-off proposals; and finally the technical and economic evaluation of the patent portfolio.
The Human Resources and Organization Direction is composed of:
- The Personnel Administration Office: contracts, pay and tax management, employee and collaborator administration, relations with insurance and welfare entities, assistance in staff selection and in the issuance of visa and the renewal of residence permits, and finally in the ongoing maintenance of the Personnel Code and overall HR policy);
- The MBO and Evaluation Office which assists in the development of personnel policy and aids the different functional areas of the Institute in managing, developing and motivating human resources, coordinates annual staff evaluation, develops and manages career paths, supports the definition of functional organizational structures and assists in the definition of remuneration policies;
- The We Care Office: welcome and help desk, foreign desk, analysis and improvement of workplace climate, work-life balance, recreational event and the creation of "IIT alumni";
- The Training and Development Office: analysis and development of a competency model, analysis of training needs and the creation of a training catalog.
The Technical Office coordinates construction and renovation projects, and monitors their progress; oversees job safety, general services and building maintenance; supports the setting of laboratories and facilities; ensures maintenance and technical control of plant and equipment.
The Environment Health Safety Office ensures compliance with current legislative and regulatory requirements regarding environment, health and safety; coordinates the information and trainings of all the staff in this field and creates operational control procedures.
The Director General is in charge of the administrative, finance and control activities of the Foundation. He / She reports directly to the Scientific Director and the Executive Committee.
Entities reporting to the Director General:
- The Administrative Direction coordinates the Foundation's accounting, legal and tax related activities, both for the central and outlying IIT network offices. It is composed of:
- The Accounting Office: accounting and fiscal management;
- The Balance Sheet Office: financial reporting;
- The Treasury Office: treasury operations;
- The Asset Management Office: accounting and administrative management of technical and financial assets
- The Network Coordination Office: coordination of distributed network administrative offices and related activities.
- The Procurement and Purchasing Office: procurement, purchasing, contracts, insurances and utilities management;
- The Central Warehouse: flow of stock; acceptance of incoming freight and sorting supplies; predisposition of shipping documents.
The Management Control Office coordinates the implementation of administrative processes and procedures ensuring coherence between the organizational structure, workflows and software applications, coordinating the management of planning processes and reporting. It includes:
- The Planning and Control Office: budgeting; analysis of the variances against the budget; development and update of the encodings, management centers and cost centers;
- The Analysis and Reporting Office: management reporting;
- The Applications and Database Office: analysis, implementation and integration of IT applications; management of administrative databases; drafting and updating of manuals for administrative management applications;
- The Processes and Procedures Office: update of managerial organization processes; the definition and update of processes, procedures and operational instructions; management, maintenance and update of internal software.
The Information and Communications Technology Office is in charge of the whole ICT infrastructure (hardware, security, operating system, connectivity, databases) from design to management, defining the overall structure and the service catalogue.
The Legal Office is in charge of the Foundation's legal affairs; it provides legal assistance for the definition of the internal organizational procedures; it analyses all agreements and contracts and provides legal assistance in case of disputes; it supervises privacy legislation compliance.
The Administrative Secretariat provides secretarial support to the Administration offices; coordinates the fleet management and takes care of the external documentation in support of administrative, technical and scientific activities.